Exit

Lightroom LRC crops imported CR3 Images

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2023 Apr 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All.

I am quite new to Lightroom Classic.

I am importing images from my Canon camera. I save my images on the camera as RAW and JPG. When Lightroom imports and converts them it crops the images.

I have attached 2 images which show the crop.

Is there any way to stop this from happening?

Many Thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 15, 2023 Apr 15, 2023

If you have set a crop ratio in the camera which is not the default (usually 3:2 in Canon cameras), LrC will apply that same crop to the Raw file on import, but retains the original aspect ratio should you want to restore it. To do that, open the crop tool in the Develop module and you should see the whole 3:2 image is available, with the in-camera crop ratio overlaid. To restore the original image ratio, click on the Reset button in the Crop tool panel.

Nothing can be done with the Jpeg image

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have set a crop ratio in the camera which is not the default (usually 3:2 in Canon cameras), LrC will apply that same crop to the Raw file on import, but retains the original aspect ratio should you want to restore it. To do that, open the crop tool in the Develop module and you should see the whole 3:2 image is available, with the in-camera crop ratio overlaid. To restore the original image ratio, click on the Reset button in the Crop tool panel.

Nothing can be done with the Jpeg image, as the crop will have been baked in by the camera when the Jpeg was created.

To stop both of those things happening, check what aspect ratio you have applied in the camera's settings and restore to default if that's what you want.

If that's not the problem, check to see if you have applied a develop preset during import which applies a crop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim

Thankyou so much for your knowledge. I had it set in the camera to 16:9 so have no set it back to default 3:2.

You are a star

Many Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2023 Sep 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is weird behaviour of Lightroom. Raw processing should always be about processing all the raw data. That is the essence of raw processing. If you set you camera to BW that should also not affect the RAW image (and it does not). It is strange that camera cropping settings are applied to raw files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines