• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Mobile (for Samsung) produces distorted .dng files it cannot read on Note20 Ultra

Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phone:  Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra

LR Mobile for Samsung 2/7/2022 release

Issue:  When setting file type to .dng in the LR  camera, a .dng file is indeed produced, but doesn't show up in Lightroom.   Trying to import it manually indicates failure.   Naturally this makes the experimental HDR mode fail to produce a final result, though it does write 3 .dng files that appear to be exposed correctly.   This was mainly what I wanted to use since it worked nicely on my older Note8.

The .dng files will open in the native gallery program but aren't the correct native size for the binned 108MP camera which is the only one that can be used apparently (3984x2984 vs 4000x3000), but have some kind of massive distortion around the edges that superficially resembles pincushion distortion but on closer inspection may be stretched / duplicated pixels or the result of applying some correction that isn't needed   The center of the image is flat.  (See attached example...)

OpenCamera hangs when attempting to take raw shots, but can at least use the wide camera and multi-shot HDR works on either.  Without raw output in either case control over the result is limited enough that single .dng files from the stock camera are usually better for editing.

None of this is some urgent issue for me -- I shoot with my real camera when I care about the pictures at all -- but it's kind of annoying given the supposed "for samsung" tag on the software and the need to use the samsung store which never shows new updates for adobe stuff (need to go to the "apps" tab and look for any with update icons manually or they never update)...  All to get, in the end, apparently less Samsung support than a generic open source camera program.

This is probably the wrong bug section since none of the allowed topics apply but it's where the phone's link sent me and these forums are annoying and hard to navigate so move it where you need to.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Was there any resolution to this?   I have a fresh install of Lightroom Mobile on my Note 20 Ultra 5G, the lastest version of Photoshop on my PC, the DNG images from LR Mobile will not open in Photoshop  on the PC providing an error.  In Lightroom the files load, EXIF data is present but no image appears.  What is the point of creating images in LR Mobile on this device if I can not open them in Adobe software on my Windows 10 computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines