• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom mobile iPhone image format query

Contributor ,
Apr 30, 2023 Apr 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, when I take images on my iPhone I currently use HEIC.

I'm looking to start using Lightroom Mobile in my workflow generally and if I am using it on my PC/Mac/iPad/iPhone I know that the iPhone version has a built in camera.

The only thing I've found out about the camera built in to Lightroom Mobile on iPhone is that it can shoot in DNG but no more about that DNG format/technical info.

I currently use an iPhone XS Max. I may upgrade that in time. I know that rather than HEIC or JPG I could shoot in Apple ProRAW if I were to upgrade (e.g. to an iPhone 14Pro).

What I'm trying to understand is how (were I to upgrade my phone) the formats differ. Would I be better to shoot in the iPhone native app, or an app that allowed me to use clip-on lenses (or a lens case and app such as the Reeflex Pro Camera which shoots RAW or ProRAW) and go with Apple ProRAW or would I be better to shoot using the Lightroom Mobile built-in camera and shoot to DNG files from there?

Can anyone in the community offer some guidance, please?

TOPICS
iOS: iPhone

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Malthouse Photography

Translated with Bing:

In my opinion, it all depends on the control you want to have in editing your photos.

.- HEIC (High Efficiency Image Coding) is a container with more advanced algorithms than JPG which allows to have a resolution of 16 bits compared to 8 of the JPG so it offers more quality. In addition, it occupies half that of JPG, and supports transparencies. You may have compatibility issues with some software applications and even hardware requirements. It is a very possible substitute for JPG.

.- Apple ProRAW are the files generated by IOS and combines the information of a standard RAW but to which iPhone processing has been applied. It's not a pure RAW, it's been processed.

.- DNG. You may know that each camera manufacturer brand uses its own RAW file extension, DNG is a RAW file developed by ADOBE with the intention of generalizing its use by all brands. It is a RAW with universal aspiration.

If you want full control of your edits, the best option is to have a totally virgin RAW and DNG is a good option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@parab47479640 thanks, that's not quite what I meant that I was looking for. I know what the types are. It is the technical detail below I am after.

I read something about Apple RAW being 10bits per channel but Apple ProRAW being 12bits per channel (yes both partly processed). I could not find out how many bits per channel DNG files created in LR Mobile's built in camera on an iPhone were but read something about poor grain in them compared to Apple ProRAW files. There was also discussion about linear profiles or something in the DNG and I got a little lost in the references.

I was hoping someone could help me to understand those nuances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines