Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom/Printing Question

Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HELLO 🙂

I am new here and this is my first post... hopefully, I am in the right place.

I am using a MacBook Pro (2015) calibrated with X-rite i1 Display Pro with my brightness set at about 60-70%.

I am editing in Lightroom (not classic) Version 4.1 on my MacBook Pro.

I crop and soft proof my final Lightroom edit in Photoshop (Version 22.2) and save it with my chosen Printers Profile (there is little difference between my own edit and the Printer's Profile soft proof).

When I export for the Web I am exporting sRGB JPEG

When I export for Print I am exporting ProPhotoRGB 16bit TIF

My final Print from the Printers however does not look anything like what I am seeing on my MacBook Pro. The Print is very dull, much more grey, very dark, and desaturated... it looks very flat. The print on my screen looks much warmer with a more magenta tone. 

I have tried two different Print companies using their own print Profiles and also my own and the photo always turns out the same. 

Any suggestions or help as to where I am going wrong would be greatly appreciated.

With thanks and kind regards,

Pommegirl

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When I export for Print I am exporting ProPhotoRGB 16bit TIF"

Export as sRGB.

I would think that most print labs would want sRGB (or adobeRGB).

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi WobertC 🙂

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

So, the first time I did actually export it and send it to print as an sRGB JPEG... the second time it was suggested I try it again as a ProPhotoRGB TIF. They came back the same and neither similar to what I'm seeing on screen. Both photos (the sRGB JPEG and the ProPhotoRGB TIF) printed the same. 

I will maybe speak to the Printers today and see what they suggest too.

Thank you again and kind regards,

Pommegirl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the printers photographic or lithographic, printing CMYK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi selondon 🙂

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

Photographic and I believe CMYK. I will phone today though and double-check.

Thank you again and kind regards,

Pommegirl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I prepare images to send to a lab I always export JPEG images, sRGB, and I get consistently well matched prints from the lab. I don't think you gain any quality by sending 16-bit TIF images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JimHess 🙂

So, the first time I did actually export it and send it to print as an sRGB JPEG... the second time it was suggested I try it again as a ProPhotoRGB TIF. They came back the same and neither similar to what I'm seeing on screen. Both photos (the sRGB JPEG and the ProPhotoRGB TIF) printed the same. 

I will maybe speak to the Printers today and see what they suggest too. I must be going wrong somewhere! 

Thank you for taking the time to reply... have a good weekend.

Pommegirl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing I can suggest is that there is something wrong with your calibration method. I have never officially calibrated my monitor. I don't print a lot of  images, but I do a small amount of printing at home. I do a very sloppy method of calibration, I will admit. I downloaded an official "calibration" photo that I found on the Internet and printed it without performing any adjustments. Then I manually adjusted my monitor until it looked the same or as close to the same as the print that I had made. I know, not very scientific, and something to be scoffed at. But I'm able to produce consistent images on my printer, and when I send images to a lab I'm never disappointed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, interesting Jim... THANK YOU... yes, I can only think it must be to do with my calibration too... I think I will have to take a further look at it.  I appreciate you taking the time to outline your process for me. 

Kind regards,

Pommegirl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines