• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Thrashes the SSD on Apple M1

Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice that every time I open one of my DNG images in Develop module, with one or two very light edits, Lightroom does over 1 gigabyte of writes to the disk.  There are other serious hammerings of the disk with other operations in Lightroom classic as well.  Opening a reasonable length Lightroom session where I edit 50 or  60 pictures can result in  300 Gigabytes of writes.  I am using a 16G M1 as well so there is plenty of memory.  I am running very latest (as of Feb 20 2021) Lightroom Classic and Big Sur 11.2.1 - so the very latest.  I notice that Lightroom, more than any other SW I have, just loves guzzling memory.  Why?  I think there is a serious memory leak in this software.

Why does Lightroom thrash the disk so much?  No other app that I have, and I have many graphical apps, thrashes the disk anything like what Lightroom does.  I did testing with LR Cloud and it is the same.

An SSD cannot sustain a thrashing like this for sustained periods of several years.  Lightroom is actually effecting the longevity of the computer.  I have read some similar threads about this, for example, here:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-disk-readwrite-to-s...

I am on the verge of leaving LR as it is never mind with an issue that can damage my computers due to inferior software development. 

I don't expect any reply form Adobe since they never seem to address customer raised issues.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same here. Im just waiting fore Capture One to arrive native for M1 ( or maybe finally Seriff DAM release). My iPad runs lightroom better than M1 mac rn. Its a major dissapointment for me - hundreds of gigabytes written to ssd from just looking at the photos. Adobe fix your stuff or fire your coding departament - your code can destroy computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines