Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lr on iOS - Color Noise in HDR vs. non-HDR Photos

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear All,

I have noted a strange behavior of Lr on iOS (iPhone XR): some times the HDR image has a lot more color noise in some areas than the non-HDR image (I opted for both versions to be stored) and at other times it's the converse (more color noise in the non-HDR image than in the HDR one). That this behavior oscillates randomly and that it's sometimes the non-HDR, direct-from-sensor image that has more color noise is baffling (me at least). Has anyone noticed this on an XR or some other iPhone model ? Is there anythiong to be done ?

Thanks for all suggestions and/or pointers !

TOPICS
iOS: iPhone

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

The explanation might be deghosting. I assume that Lightroom uses automatic deghosting when you shoot in HDR. Deghosting can lead to more noise in deghosted areas, because the darker shot was used exclusively in that area to avoid getting ghosts from the brighter exposures.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you know, raw images have a lot more image data, and raw images need processing to appear like "normal" images.  Lightroom camera HDR images have 'Auto' settings applied, which I find usually is a good starting point.  LR Camera basic DNGs have just the basic Adobe Color profile applied with basic default adjustments (Whites +15, Blacks -5, Clarity +8)... in both scenarios, I sometimes still need to further adjust exposure or noise settings in Edit mode depending on how over/under-exposed the image is.  I have confirmed with Lightroom developers that the LR camera is simply ingesting the raw data the sensor/platform provides, and what's not corrected with the basic settings I just mentioned may indeed need manual effort to refine at times.  Personally, my approach is to capture in HDR mode by default, with 'Save unprocessed original' enabled in the in-camera options as I think you already know.  HDR tends to provide me the better image.

If you are seeing results that seem wrong, please feel free to share an example DNG image with us for the dev to investigate.  You can send that image to me in a direct message if you prefer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm perfectly OK with 'Auto' settings applied and with having to tweak various things by hand (this is why we use LrC, isn't it?). What I don't understand (without saying there's something wrong) is that sometimes there is more color noise in the unprocessed original than in the HDR and at other times there is more color noise in the HDR than in the unprocessed original. I expected more color noise to consistently appear in one (HDR) when shooting in consistent light and camera (iPhone) settings. It's the inconsistency that's bothering me. Do you also see this ? Does it bother you ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The explanation might be deghosting. I assume that Lightroom uses automatic deghosting when you shoot in HDR. Deghosting can lead to more noise in deghosted areas, because the darker shot was used exclusively in that area to avoid getting ghosts from the brighter exposures.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im seeing a similar issue where some dark parts of the HDR really destroyed by noise. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I already gave you the most likely explanation. Deghosting does that.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to controll it or simply move a stop up while shooting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you try that stop yourself? You can't control deghosting.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2023 Jun 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Because in the iOS app you can't control the stops in rhe HDR. I wish you could control the AEB spread but it seems like it's only auto.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is correct. The cause is deghosting and the algorithm it uses for that. Could probably be better but yeah it takes the most underexposed image for that (and corresponding fastest shutter) so it stops motion in the area but also leads to a lot of noise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines