Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Migration Desktop version to Lightroom.

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have bought the Lightroom desktop version several years ago. Now I finally decided to change to the online cloud version in order to make working from different computers easier. 

My Lightroom version is Lightroom 6. Since the moment I have an Adobe Account, the Desktop version only works if I lock out of the Account. So far so good. Now I tried to migrate the catalog .ircat file into the new Lightroom cloud version. This worked so far as all the folders are imported, but it imported not even a single photo. It did not give me any report on possible problems.

So what can I do now? Thank you very much in advance.

Sarah 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe Lightroom can only migrate a newer catalog, from Lightroom Classic. Not a catalog from the old Lightroom 6. What you can do is install a trial version of Lightroom Classic, and use that to upgrade your old catalog (the upgraded catalog will be a new copy, so you will still have the old one just in case). Then you can migrate this new catalog to the cloud version.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I indeed tried exactly that myself. But then they came up with the next problem: the new catalogue from Lightroom Classic cannot be migrated, because it is the same as before - and you can migrate a catalogue only once. So now I started to split up the catalogue and migrated it seperately, which will take forever.

Furthermore, I just realized that the loopdeck does not work on the cloud version. I have finally bought it because I want to control the working process with a wheel. Since in the online cloud version the wheel on my mouse did not work, I thought the loopdesk would be the solution. But no. The whole deck only workes for the Classic version.

I am really frustrated by all this. I guess it would have been better to just stay out of the Adobe Account Abo stuff altogether. I do not understand why Adobe does something like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would really urge you to research this a bit more before really migrating. As you have discovered the cloud version of Lightroom misses a LOT of features even when compared to the now very old Lightroom Classic v6 let alone the new version of Lightroom which is called Classic. The cloud version is really a port of the mobile version of Lightroom to desktop operating systems. It is NOT the new version. It is different. It has one really great and very interesting feature which is that you have all your images in the cloud and they all look the same accross platforms. However it misses many key features that you might be relying on. Cloudy for example can't even print! It has no virtual copies. Keywording is not well worked out in cloudy and many more issues. Really important that people understand this. If you share your work mainly online and have no complicated workflows you need supported, cloudy might be ideal. For most other people Classic is really the right solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the topic of what Lightroom can do vs. Lightroom Classic, there is a lot of misinformation.  For example, Lightroom does allow you to make copies, it's just called "Duplicate" instead of "Create Virtual Copy".  And while Lightroom Classic does have a lot of manual keywording features that Lightroom does not have, Lightroom has automatic keywording features that Lightroom Classic does not have - specifically, in Lightroom you can search by keyword without ever having to manually keyword your photos - Lightroom will use AI to find what you're looking for.

This is actually a bit of a theme when comparing Lightroom and Lightroom Classic - yes, Lightroom Classic has features that Lightroom does not have, but what is often overlooked is that Lightroom has a lot of features that Lightroom Classic does not have.  They are different products and neither is a super-set of the other.  This can, admittedly, make it tricky to figure out which is the best for you.  For a very complete feature comparison between Lightroom and Lightroom Classic, check out this page here.

-Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

These are great points and something to consider. I love the feature that your images are available everywhere and look the same. I severely dislike the keywording in cloudy and the AI search is basically useless to me because it is completely generic and non-specific but for other people this might be fantastic and a godsend. Doesn't at all work for me. The myriad of missing features is also a deal breaker to me and I use cloudy simply as a companion to classic (which works fantastically if you know what you are doing) and could not currently nor in the immediate future seeing the pace of feature additions consider transitioning to it. For others none of that might be relevant and the unique cloudy features are the thing that is essential. The problem really is that Adobe's marketing materials completely hide all this and you have to go to third party sites such as the comparison on Lightroom queen's site to really figure this out. Doing this research in advance would help a lot of folks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines