• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing the external edit in photoshop Pop Up Menu options (edit original; edit a copy; edit a...)

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, i'll try explain...

When i right click an image and select the option to Edit In Photoshop, the Pop up Menu asking me if i want to "edit original; edit a copy; edit a copy with Lightroom adjustments" does not appear and i'm not able to choose any option, the image opens directly on Photoshop with all LR adjustments... 

Does anyone else had this problem aleready?

I'm using a macbook pro with BigSur. Everything is up to date!

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

That pop-up menu only appears if you are trying to edit a non-raw file in Photoshop (e.g. jpeg, tiff, PSD). If you have selected a raw file to edit in Photoshop, the image and any edits are passed to Photoshop, which then uses it's ACR plug-in to silently render the raw file and incorporating your Lightroom adjustments, and that's what you then see opening in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Hi all,

To address common issues related to Edit-in errors, please refer to the following troubleshooting article: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-edit-in-errors.html?cgen=6JMR79DQ&mv=other

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That pop-up menu only appears if you are trying to edit a non-raw file in Photoshop (e.g. jpeg, tiff, PSD). If you have selected a raw file to edit in Photoshop, the image and any edits are passed to Photoshop, which then uses it's ACR plug-in to silently render the raw file and incorporating your Lightroom adjustments, and that's what you then see opening in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, ok then... i though it was possible... Thank you for your time! Cya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same issue. I have imported many raw (NEF) files into lightroom and edited them in lightroom and then edited them in photoshop. I have seen the pop up hundreds of times when using a raw file in lightroom. So either something has changed recently or I have been dreaming. I have read over and over that raw photos don't show that dialog but when when I wanted to edit a raw file that I was working on in lightroom, it would always give me that pop-up. Then today after updating photoshop the I no longer see the pop-up. Also, I notice that the NEF file that I am working on in lighroom remains a NEF file when I open it in PhotoShp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I notice that the NEF file that I am working on in lighroom remains a NEF file when I open it in PhotoShop."

Here is a simple explanation-

As stated by @Jim Wilde Photoshop silently uses ACR to render a visible image (a document) in Photoshop (cache memory). But at this moment Photoshop only knows that you have used a NEF (raw) file sent to Ps, so it shows the Document tab as "Filename.NEF".

Not until you actually [Save] the edited 'document' to the hard-drive (and back to LrC) does Photoshop give it its new correct file-type suffix- PSD, TIFF, as defined in the 'Edit-In' preferences in LrC.

(just like someone has put a 'thought' in your mind that is virtual until you act on the thought to create something physical)

Do a [Save] of the image in Ps and you will see the file-type suffix change on the Ps document tab!

So either something has changed recently or I have been dreaming.

It might have changed, but NOT recently! I cannot even recall if it ever did open the dialog for raw files!

"Dreaming"- quite possibly 🙂  or you have been sending JPGs, TIFFs, PSDs, to Photoshop un-knowingly.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the explanation. I appreciate it. Makes more sense now.

Having said that, I know I have seen the dialog for well over 100 that I imported as NEF files. Usually I imported one, edited it and then imported another and did the same. So it is not as if they were sitting in my library for any amount of time.

Up until today I saw the pop-up dialog. I would work on a NEF file in lightroom and then edit it in photoshop and I would see the popup. Not sure how I could accidently change the file type of well over a hundred files before I right clicked and chose edit in photoshop.

I know people keep saying that the dialogue won't pop up for NEF files, but I have seen it many many times and 95% of the photos I import and edit in lightroom are NEF files.

Feeling CrAZY... Thanks again 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it is worth. Just about all my photos in my library are still NEF files. So that shows they weren't changed to another file type. Ok, need to let this go now. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I would say is that the dialog is not supposed to appear when using "Edit in Photoshop" on a raw file, such as your NEF files, although there are the occasional poster who is adamant that it did appear for them. I certainly can't say you are wrong, all I can say is that it isn't supposed to happen....but if it does then that's a rare bug which Adobe need to be able to reproduce in order to fix it. But if they can't reproduce it? FWIW, I've been back through my earlier (still installed) Lightroom versions in order to test the "Edit in Photoshop" process with some interesting results. In ALL cases (I tested LR3, LR4, LR5 and LR6) that dialog did NOT appear when using a raw file (including a NEF), althougfh I did unexpectedly receive the "ACR mis-match" dialog message. This occurs whenever the version of ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) which is embedded in the Lightroom code is at a higher level than the version of the ACR plug-in in Photoshop. Now obviously I have the latest ACR plug-in (13.2) installed, but a couple of the older versions of Lightroom mis-read the plug-in version as 3.2, and in that case the Lightroom version is thought to be "newer" than the ACR plug-in. In that scenario the following dialog is produced (this was from LR5.7.1):

mismatch.PNG

But that's a completely different message to the one that this thread is about, but it's the only message I can produce from earlier Lightroom versions, but LR6 and LrClassic behave "normally" when using "Edit in...", i.e no messages are produced at all. 

So yes, let's let it go for now, but if ever you start receiving that message again, start a new thread (but reference this one if you can), that would allow us to investigate while the problem is current.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim. I am no longer getting the dialogue so I doubt I will unless I am editing a png or jpg. Thanks for helping me wrap my brain around all this. If it starts happening again I will post something. I actually preferred the dialogue and didn't see it as a bug. Anyhow I was wondering if all this had something to do with the latest changes to "save as" in photoshop. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jim Wilde , are you referring to Lightroom Classic or to Lightroom Cloud Based desktop app? The behavior of the two is different.
I suppose @AdrianoFurlanetto was referring to the Lightroom Cloud Based desktop app and not to Lightroom Classic.
In my experience, Lightroom Classic behaves as described, but Cloud Based desktop app does not.
Lightroom Cloud Based desktop app never asks to select user preferences before sending the file to Photoshop, regardless of the original file format (RAW; Tiff, Jpeg...). Lightroom Cloud Based desktop app does not even have an option to edit again the tiff file returned by Photoshop. Asking Lightroom Cloud Based to edit again a Tiff file previously created in Photoshop editing the original, it creates a new Tiff file stacked with the other two. 
Thank you in advance for any further help you can provide.
Guido

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,

To address common issues related to Edit-in errors, please refer to the following troubleshooting article: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-edit-in-errors.html?cgen=6JMR79DQ&mv=other

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines