Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving from Mac to PC

New Here ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I am looking to move from an iMac to a PC for both PS and LR.  I have a few questions if someone can please advise.

1)  Am I best off starting the setup of catalogs and Folders from scratch and then moving old files across?  Is this even possible?  What is the best way to move images from Mac to PC

2) I currently pay the monthly Adobe Creative Cloud subscription.  Is it OK to move from one platform to the other?   I will aim to move my files across in the festive holidays, so can I keep using on the Mac and the PC or do I need to pay for two subs during this process?

Thanks for any and all advice from a relative newbie to both programs and the whole process.

Cheers

Mark

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you plan on using the same images on both computers then you will want to copy the images in their folders exactly as they are organized now to the new computer. You will also want to copy the catalog to the new computer. Take note, however, that you will not be able to share images between the two computers. But you can create collections and share them in the cloud. But that is for another discussion.

If you are going to be using the same images on the new computer, i.e. using the same catalog, you might have to go through the process of finding missing folders. That really isn't a big deal and doesn't take a lot of time. It's just something that has to be done once.

You will only need a single subscription, but it will only be possible to use one of the computers at a time. Brief answers, I realize. But hopefully it will get you started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In terms of how to move to a new computer, have a read of this: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Lightroom are you using? If you are using the cloud version, which is the forum you posted this question in, then there isn't much to the process of changing computers. Just sign in to Creative Cloud on your new computer. If you are using Lightroom Classic, the process is more involved. Jim linked to a good article that explains how.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the original question referred to the setup of catalogs, I assumed the user was referring to Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your replies Jim.   You are correct - I am referring to Lightroom Classic (apologies Theresa if I posted in the incorrect forum - I am a first time poster).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines