Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My Lightroom kept crashing after I updated to Big Sur

New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

I recently just updated my iMac to Big Sur (my iMac is 2 years old only) and every since my LR keeps crashing and forcing my computer to restart. I uninstalled LR and reinstalled it and it didn't help. Anyone has this problem as well? What should I do? I have proje ts due soon so I don't want to send my iMac to Apple unless I have no other choices. Is this LR's problem or is it my iMac's problem?

Thank you!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you didn't have the problem before your Mac update, it seems to be clear that your Mac update is the problem

I do NOT know if these revert to older links will work with BS
https://macpaw.com/how-to/downgrade-from-catalina or
https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/downgrade-macos-3581872/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ugh im having the same exact problem. I've been using lightroom for years and i've never had an issue until I just updated my computer to big sur.  Did you end up resolving your problem yet? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have been chatting with Adobe's support team this past week and we tried a bunch of different things and the problem is still not solved.

We tried:

1. Clean uninstall + Reinstall

2. Create New Catalog

3. Create New User

4. Turn off Graphic card at LR

5. Adding LR to system preferences for full disc access

6. Downgrade LR to 10.0

7. Installed older Camera Raw

You can try if any of these help first...for me none of them helped (but I saw some other users being able to use their LR normally again after trying one of them). I am planning to bring my iMac to Apple now...worst case I think downgrading my sysem will help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"  I've been using lightroom for years.."

To @DL1989 and @defaulturkllpebffw1 -  Which VERSION of Lightroom?

Standalone versions (5,6) are NOT compatible with Mac OS Catalina or Big Sur. Expect them to fail.

Strange that 'Support' could not diagnose or help.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the latest LR Classic 10.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DL1989 I know little about Mac systems, but I have read that they can be prone to over-heating causing the crash if the problem is with the computer. Lightroom's intensive use of the CPU just precipitates the problem.

Comments on your 'Done' Support list-

"Clean uninstall + Reinstall"- I would suggest the clean is done with the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool which you may have used.

"Installed older Camera Raw" - No effect on any Lightroom!- Lr-Classic does not use Adobe Camera Raw. It is an integral (internal code) part of the Lr-Classic App.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also tried to reinstall the mac system as advised by Apple's support team but still no luck. Sending it to Apple for repair and let's see if they can find out what's causing the problem. But my Mac is quite new (only 2 year old) and when I am using it I don't notice any overheating problem...In fact it was working quite well before the update..so I have no ideas what's going on except this older Mac is not working properly with this update.

For what we did with Adobe, I just did everything they suggested me to do, and they also performed uninstalling via the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool...no luck for me, sad.

They (Adobe's support team) installed the older Camera Raw, I just watched them do it and I don't understand the logic behind it as I am not too tech savvy. But before they did that they asked if I work with RAW files and I said I do.

Thank you for your replies though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines