• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New computer, moving Lightroom CC local storage

Contributor ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am doing my main editing on a different computer. I previously stored my local copies on an external drive. I will be using the same drive. I opened LR on the new computer, went into preferences and set the location of the external drive connected to the new computer. When I reopend Lightroom CC I was prompted with "moving files from Macintosh HD to XXXX", with XXXX being the new location. I just wanted to make sure this is the right process before I let Lightroom "move" any files. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

For me, that's the best approach, and it's the way I do it. I have all originals in the cloud, and they are all replicated in Lr Classic. So in Lightroom I keep the local copy option disabled, and the copy in Lr Classic is what I backup to other destinations. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add, the local files will not actually move. They will stay in place on the same external drive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it should be OK to accept that "Move", provided you are of course using the same Adobe ID on both computers.

Basically, when you first start Lightroom (BTW, it's not called Lightroom CC any longer, the CC was dropped several years ago) the default location for locally stored originals is in the Lightroom library in the user>Pictures folder. Obviously, at the time of first launch, there won't be any locally stored originals....however, when you import images the imported files are first copied into the currently-set location before being uploaded to the cloud. Additionally, if you start to edit an image (or even just try to view it at 1:1), Lightroom will automatically download a copy of the original from the cloud (if it's not already held locally), and store it in the set location.

So, it's entirely possible that you already have some locally stored originals in the default location, in which case when you change the location via the preferences Lightroom will move the previously stored originals to the new location (but I didn't think the user got a choice, I thought the move happened automatically?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. 

I know the technical name for Lightroom Cloud is now Lightroom Desktop (according to the guy who runs the LR division at Adobe). But a lot of people are very confused so they tend to use CC and Classic as the names so people know what to use.

I don't have any photos in the original location. My fear is that it will re download the files and I'll end up with doubles of everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know a lot of people still use LR CC when they mean Lightroom desktop....but look around some of the threads on these forum boards and you'll find examples of people using LR CC when they actually mean Lightroom Classic. Remember that the subscription version of Lightroom 6 was called Lightroom CC 2015.x, or LR CC for short, before it was renamed to Lightroom Classic. So LR CC to me, and many of the others helping out on these boards, could mean either.....which is why we are persistently asking other users to abandon LR CC and use the correct names.

No, it will only download your files if you have the "Store a copy of all originals...." checkbox enabled in Preferences. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noted thanks. I haven't spent much time on here lately.

I do have sore copy of originals checked. That's the whole issue. I keep all my originals stored locally but I already have them downloaded. In Classic you can simply reconnect your local copies to the catalog files. I guess I was hoping desktop would see the downloaded file on my external drive and not own load another copy. Does this make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Provided that you are using the same Adobe ID on both computers, and the designated folder location is identical on both computers, then Lightroom on the new computer should be able to use the same downloaded copy, without any need to download a new copy. I have tested that scenario in the past, and can confirm that it did work in that test. Perhaps you could post a copy of the Move message that you get, just so that we can check it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and no. I tried it with a few files and a few doubled and a few did not. I decided it wasnt reliable and dont want to redownload everything, so I am no longer using local storage. Instead I have everything syncing to Lightroom Classic and that creates a hard backup which in turn clones to another drive for security. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, that's the best approach, and it's the way I do it. I have all originals in the cloud, and they are all replicated in Lr Classic. So in Lightroom I keep the local copy option disabled, and the copy in Lr Classic is what I backup to other destinations. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear its a solid solution. I use classic a lot for printing so it actually works out. Thanks Jim!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did all the edits you've made in the past transfer or reflect in Lightroom Classic? This method sounds promising, except for the fact that you'd now be using Lightroom Classic instead of Cloud/CC, which doesn't really solve the problem, no?

I'm having the same issue, and the simple "just use Classic, it'll read your downloaded files" approach simply doesn't work for me, especially since I also edit photos on iPad.

Have you come across any better or full solutions to the original problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines