• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

NEW LR USER - QUESTION ON VERSIONS

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a photographer and have been using Photoshop for years and years and years.  (Don't judge)  I am learning LightRoom and I can't figure out (of find) LightRoom CC.  I am doing the tutorials for CC and some of the functions aren't there they are mentioning.  The version I have downloaded through my subscription is 4.2.  Can someone point me to CC?  I can't find it as an option on Adobe.  

Don't judge.  I know I should have learned it years ago, but I didn't.  Thanks, in advance, for your help.  I have attached which version I am using -- a screenshot.  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all there is no Lightroom "CC" anymore. That was an old designation that has gone By the wayside. There are two versions of Lightroom, blame Adobe for the naming confusion. Lightroom Classic uses a local catalog and stores images on the local hard drive. It has more features such as printing, ability to create books, and a number of other features. Lightroom Classic is currently at version 10.2. Lightroom, currently at version 4.2, stores your images in the cloud. It has a more streamlined user interface. It does not have the capability to print images, or to create books, and lacks a number of other feattures That some users feel are essential while other users don't miss. If you choose the wrong tutorials it can become very confusing. The cloud version, which is now simply called Lightroom, was originally referred to as Lightroom CC. Many of the tutorials are consequently named accordingly. You will have to sort through  the tutorials to decide which ones are appropriate for the version of Lightroom you have chosen to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim didn't say it explicitly but from your screenshot, it is clear that you installed the cloud version of Lightroom. It is closer related to what runs on iPads than what everybody on the internet and in the photoworld still just calls Lightroom and as Jim notes has been renamed Lightroom Classic a few years ago. Adobe makes this extremely confusing and actually makes it hard to find the normal lightroom that all the tutorials are about as everywhere on their website and the creative cloud app you first get the cloud version instead of the normal version (classic) and the default Lightroom subscription only includes the cloud version. What you likely need, especially if you are used to a photoshop workflow with local documents, is a subscription to the photographer plan. That includes Lightroom Classic, Photoshop and Lightroom Cloudy (but you don't have to use the latter). 

The name Lightroom CC is extremely confusing as it was used for BOTH versions of Lightroom for a while. The only thing that you know for sure when you see a tutorial for Lightroom CC is that is is probably outdated. Adobe made a big mess with their naming scheme.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!  I have the subscription and have had it for years.  I was one of the first, but I'm one of the last to get on the LR train.  I use PhotoShop for everything.  But I'm succumbing to LR now and learning to use it and so far, so good.  It gives me a little more time at the end of the day for general shoots, but I can finetune them in PS and do some of the other editing I do.  I just felt behind the times on LR and jumped on the train.  I have chatted with a rep with Adobe and sort of felt my way through and I've got a primary understanding.  Now to load some presets and see how all of that goes.  It's tough when you're used to one way and it has to be changed up years later.  I'm just old-school and a PS lover.  I've spent my life behind the lens and I still love shooting film once in a while and just love my job.  

Thanks for all of the help! You guys rock!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines