• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Option to sync a collection with Lightroom CC is not visible and can't create a synced collection

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am on MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 and have the latest LR 10.0 w/ Camera Raw 13.0 installed (as of writing this post).

I am trying to create a synced collection that I want to export to Adobe Portfolio. However, even if I am logged on to Creative Cloud I do not see the small 'lightning' icon that can be selected to make any collection a synced collection.

For reference, I have attached the screenshot of how my collections look and I have highlighted the part where I expect the sync icon to see with a red marker (cantsync.png)

Also, on the top right corner, I see a check mark with the cloud icon. It says everything is synced (cloudsyncstatus.png).

Also, when I try to create a collection, I do not get the check mark which says 'create synced collection'. Please refer to screenshot 'cantcreate.png'.

Does anyone have any ideas ? I scoured the LR forums here and looked at several posts, but to no avail. This seems like a unique problem that only I seem to be having.

Thanks for reading!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The collections you are displaying seem to be categories. What happens if you open one of those categories such as cityscapes? Is there a collection inside of that category that you can choose to synchronize? In other words, it isn't possible to share a main folder that contains several collections. That is why there isn't the option to share. You need to open one of those categories and chooses an individual collection and share the collection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, in this case, 'cityscapes' is not a categories. It is a collection. And it is inside of AdobePortfolio2019 which is a collection set. I have never heard of 'categories' in lightroom, only collections and collection sets. Is there anything that I am missing here ?

Also, I am still not able to create a new collection and set the 'sync to lightroom' check mark on there (cantcreate.png).

Thanks for responding.

Seemanta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never used Adobe Portfolio. Have you created a "standard" collection using Lightroom Classic? Don't create a smart collection, just a regular collection. Sorry, I cannot advise on using Portfolio.

The way it is being displayed, I interpreted it as a collection set, and you need to open that set in order to locate individual collections that can be synchronized. That's is how Lightroom seems to want to manage it. I didn't know that Adobe Portfolio could be managed from within Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

My problem is not related to Adobe Portfolio. But you can create a synced collection and then use the photos in that collection from within portfolio. That was my goal. But in general, creating a synced collection (regardless of whether I use it with portfolio or not) has been my problem.

I do have a collection set called 'AdbePortfolio' and I am trying to create a synced collection within it which is not working for me.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you tried to fix the problem? Things I would try:

1. Close LrC, logout of the Creative Cloud, reboot, log back into the Creative Cloud, retry LrC.

2. If it's still not working, you could try signing out of LrC via the Help menu, then sign back in again to retry.

3. If still not working, try resetting the Lightroom Preferences: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Although it's probably not relevant, the last screenshot shows you trying to create the new collection in a collection set called Portfolio, but that collection set isn't immediately apparent in the first screenshot.

One other thing, it would be helpful if when attaching screenshots you used the option above the post dialog box to attach screenshots, rather than uploading them separately. That way all the people viewing your post can see the screenshot inline within your post, and not have to download them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all three. In fact, I tried creating an empty catalog (thinking it was something wrong with my catalog) but that did not help either.

Here, I have a collection set called, 'Temp' and within it, a collection called 'collection1'. The problem is that when creating it, I did not get the 'Create a synced collection option' in the first place. Here is my collection creation dialog:

As you can see, I have all the options except to make it into a synced collection. So I can't create a synced collection.

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 11.26.41 AM.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you created a new catalog, did you switch it to become the synced catalog (only one catalog can be the active sync catalog at a time). If you didn't, then the ability to sync collections wouldn't be present in the new catalog.  It might be worth trying that, i.e. enable the new catalog to sync, though that will start downloading all your cloud contents into the new catalog, then open the old catalog and re-enable it to sync again. One other thing you could try  first, however, would be to reset the sync data file (you don't lose any cloud content, but it forces LrC to resync with the cloud, after which sync will be paused and you'd need to resume it). It might be enough to prod things back into life again. To reset the sync data, open the Preferences>Lightroom Sync tab, press and hold the Opt key and you'll see the option to "Rebuild Sync Data" appear. Click on that, LrC will close and restart, then the rebuild will occur. When it's finished, resume syncing and see if the problem has corrected itself.

There are some bugs in 10.0 related to collections, so I'm wondering if this is another one. If you can't get it working again (is temporarily rolling back to 9.4 an option?), I suggest you post the details of the problem at the official Adobe feedback site, where you're more likely to get the attention of the engineers: https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/lightroom-classic/5f5f2093785c1f1e6cc40872

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the detailed answer. How do I make a catalog an 'actively synced' catalog ? When I create a new catalog, it just asks me for a name and it creates that catalog. I do not see any sync options when creating a catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you open the new catalog, click on the cloud icon top right, and it will show the "Start Sync" button. Clicking on that will produce a dialog message to the effect that you are already syncing "named catalog....", do you want to switch syncing to this catalog. Once you say Yes, that becomes the active sync catalog and it will start downloading the contents of the cloud (so don't try this if you don't want that to happen). You can then reopen the original catalog, syncing of which will now be turned off, so yoiu go through the same process to re-enable it again.

That's probably the "last resort" option, you might be better off reporting the problem to Adobe and waiting for a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you mean. The problem is I do not get that option in the new
catalog. When I click on ‘Start Sync’ nothing happens.

It is possible that I might have synced an older catalog from before. So in
the current catalog the sync options are not showing because I can only
sync one catalog at a time.

But, clicking on ‘Start Sync’ should make the current catalog the actively
synced one and that’s not happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but in your first post you showed a screenshot of your sync status, which showed that sync was active in that catalog. If nothings happens when you switch syncing to a different catalog (what does the sync status show when you click on the cloud icon, and can you confirm that you definitely have content in the cloud already?), that suggests a wider problem than a collections issue. I think you'll need to contact Adobe directly on this, as they may need to investigate further that we can here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have content in the cloud, which I can see via LR web. And I do agree with you, I think I have something deeper going on.

When I try to enable sync on the new catalog, nothing happens and it says 'not synced'. I do not get the pop up that says 'are you sure you want to start syncing to this new catalog'. I will contact adobe engineers. Thanks for the suggestion.

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 2.03.42 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to me that you are attempting to synchronize a collection set, and you cannot do that. It is only possible to synchronize individual collections. A collection can be placed inside of a collection set, but in order to synchronize that collection it will be necessary to open the collection set and locate the individual collection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I altready clarified this, I am not trying to sync a collection set. My problem is that when I create a collection, the option to sync it does not appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you click on one of your collections, do the images display in the display area in Lightroom, either in grid mode or otherwise?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they are displayed in grid view as well as in the bottom of the window in a film strip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Jim Wilde. This is something you are going to have to straighten out with someone from Adobe. It seems to me that the whole system is confused about which catalog should be synchronizing. I don't know how to help you. For instance, if I switch to a different catalog that is one that I'm not synchronizing, I cannot choose to synchronize any collections in that catalog, same as you. So I have no idea what has happened on your system, and have no suggestions on how to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I also have the same issue...after the upgrade to LR10 I'm no longer able to sync collections nor see previous collections that were to sync, syncing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines