• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Cannot use Pencil 2 on IPad Pro to use Mask/Brush.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using finger wil work, using pencil for radial and linear mask also no problem.

Using the latest version of  IPadOS, Lightroom App on IPad Pro 11 inch.

Bug Started
TOPICS
iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 17, 2021 Dec 17, 2021

Setting status to acknowledged

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
50 Comments
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2021 Aug 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Lightroom for iOS support palm and finger rejection on iPad? I keep getting accidental taps when trying to use my Apple Pencil with Lightroom, and it's annoying. I can't find anything related to it in the menus, and after contacting support it seems this isn't supported?!? I'm pulling my hair out here, since other Adobe products like Fresco and Photoshop support this. Is there at least a plan to implement this? Or at least some way of disabling finger gestures for brushes and what not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. it seems very odd that Adobe would hove this function out when it is available on their other iOS products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @oeht 

Please see https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-ecosystem-cloud-based-discussions/p-ipados-7-0-brush-does-n... 

Is this what you're seeing, and does the troubleshooting suggested help you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charlie,

Unfortunately that doesn't help. The answer you gave I already tried.

All I can do with the pencil is moving the pencil symbol on the canvas.

Size 100, Feather 0-100 (I tried all settings), Flow 100. When changing one of these settings I see the change on screen, but when trying to use it, it is not working.

Theo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Theo, I was able to repro your issue when my Apple pencil 2 didn't work (lost some functionality), after upgrading iOS on iPad to the latest 15.1. This is what helped to resolve it:

"Make sure to center your Apple Pencil (2nd generation) on the magnetic connector on the right edge of the iPad. ... Restart your iPad, then try to pair again. Go to Settings > Bluetooth and make sure that Bluetooth is turned on."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elmira,

Yesterday I installed the latest version for the IPad (15.1) and tried all sort of combinations (pencil disconnecting/reconnecting, IPad on/off, pencil on the right-side and the left-side, bluetotth off/on, etc.), but unfortunately still no success. If you ned more information, just let me know. Something I haven't mentioned before is that I'm using Lightroom in the Dutch version.

Thanks again,

Theo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Elmira,

I sent you a mp4.file which shows the issue. Any further suggestions or do I have toi wait for an update of the Lightroom-app?

Theo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @oeht 

Lightroom iOS v 7.1 is released today, and while it is rolling out slowly this week you can obtain the update if you search for the Lightroom app listing in the Appstore app.  

The LR iOS team decided to not support the "Only Draw with Apple Pencil" option which I believe should improve the interactivity of the pencil with edit controls.  Hope this info helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone experiencing an issue with the new masking update in Lightroom mobile?? I cannot use my Apple Pencil to create a brush stroke, yet I can use my finger. I understand how to use it, so I do not need help navigating the brush tool. I just want to be able to use my Apple Pencil to create precise edits!!! So frustrating. Any help is appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having trouble understanding how this reply 'solved' the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charlie, installed the update, even uninstalled the app, re-installed, but still not able to use the pencil as a brush-mask. I see (below?) I am not the only one with this (if I may say so) very annoying bug....

Theo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @oeht , @TaeAnnPhoto 

Using the 7.1 app that released just yesterday, I am able to use a pencil to both select the " + " button to start a new mask, and also select "Brush" from the menu, and then start applying a mask as a brush.  For me, it no longer matters if I toggle On/Off the setting "Only Draw with Apple Pencil" in iOS Settings > Apple Pencil.  Does it help if you toggle this?

If you are indeed updated to Lightroom iOS 7.1, and this issue persists, can you share what device model and iPad OS version you are using?  Also, are you using a 1st or 2nd Generation Pencil?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charlie,

IPad, see attached screenprint,

Using the Pencil 2 (the one that charges on top of the Ipad.

Maybe language has something to do with it (just guessing)?

Theo0E246704-A8DD-4437-BC64-13387CC01874.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention: toggle 'only draw...' does not make a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the IPad Air 4 and the 2nd Generation Pencil. Everything is up to date. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello folks, 

i have got the same problem. Pencil 2. Gen + iPad Pro 2021 works not in combination with Brush-Mask.... Update to 7.1 didn't solve the problem! 

Reopen this Task pls. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded Lightroom CC and tried to use the Apple Pencil with the brush tool on my sisters brand new IPad Pro. Didn't work on her device either. This is beyond frustrating and I hope there's a solution soon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got my new iPad and was really surprised that this turned out to be such a big issue. It basically makes quite a few workflows (editing curves, straightening an image, drawing masks) super tedious as you always either zoom or draw by accident. 

It would be really amazing if this could be improved soon – especially since both Photoshop and Fresco already seem to support it on iPad. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@oeht , @TaeAnnPhoto 

I can't understand yet why this is working for me but not you.  I move my Apple Pencil 2 from an iPad Pro 2020 (11-inch) to an older iPad Pro 2018.. Both are now running iOS 15.2., and also an iPad Air 4th Gen still on iOS 14.8.  The pencil works on each of these devices for me with LR iOS 7.1, regardless of the "Only Draw with Apple Pencil" setting I previously mentioned.  I have also tried multiple languages as was suggested, and still the pencil works for me.

Does the Apple Pencil control other items inside Lightroom outside of the Masking edit view?

Could you please do a favor and send me video screen captures of the workflows on your devices.   See how: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207935

You can select my user name here and send me directly for the sake of privacy.  Files can get large, so feel free to put the video in a Lightroom album, share the album, and send me a link.

Also, to help me understand what your pencil may be doing when I see screen recordings, please go into LR app Settings > Gesture Shortcuts, and turn on Show Touches.  That puts a red dot on the screen each time your finger or pencil touches the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @oeht and @TaeAnnPhoto 

I got your videos, thank you!  Are you resting your hand on the screen while you use the pencil?  Other comments below in this thread have me wondering if this is what's happening.  Still, when I rest my hand on my screen while using the pencil, I cannot reproduce masking/brushing problems from your videos.   I'll log a bug, but the steps our developers will need to know to debug this still aren't clear.  If you do reproduce this only when resting your hand on the screen while you draw/paint, and not when only your pencil touches the screen, please let me know. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Charlie, Tomorrow I'll send my video which should make clear what the issue is. Your suggestion of resting the handpalm on the screen? That's not the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work with my IPad propped up so that my hand does not touch the screen while I edit. So, no my hand is not resting on the screen, and my Apple Pencil is the only thing touching the screen. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @oeht 

Please remember my request mentioned in a previous post to turn on "Show Touches"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the update to 7.1.0 Lightroom is ignoring the “Only Draw with Apple Pencil” OS setting, which makes brush work extremely tedious when needing to zoom and move the image around. I've tried restarting, re-pairing my pencil, etc. The problem does not occur in other apps. I'm on a 2021 12.9" iPad Pro, iPadOS 15.2.

Is there a way to roll back to the previous version of Lightroom until this is resolved? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Charlie.D : link tot the video file: https://adobe.ly/3pYB5Po

Hop this works and makes my issue clear.

Theo

Votes

Translate

Translate