• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop & Lightroom become unresponsive when switching monitors (1440p & 1080p) on Windows

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a multi monitor setup with a 1440p monitor as my main and a 1080p as my secondary. If I do not turn on the main monitor, 1440p, Lightroom and Photoshop work fine. But if I use the 1440p monitor each of the programs grind to a hault and become unresponsive almost immediately. I currently have 32gb of ram and am using a gtx 1080 gpu.

{Thread title updated by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

Thanks for reaching out. Sorry for the trouble. If you can clarify a few things for me, we can get to the bottom of this.

Could you please share the system info of Photoshop from Help > System info > Copy & share with us?

How are the monitors connected to the machine, are both of the monitors plugged into the GPU, or have you joined them in a different order? Do Lightroom & Photoshop crash when only the 1440p monitor is connected?

Which monitor is the default/primary in the Window's Display Settings?

Please ensure both the monitors are plugged into the GPU directly. Having one of them on the CPU & one of them connected to the GPU can give unexpected results.

If you have set the 1440p monitor as primary, you can restart the applications and the computer once and then connect the secondary display later and continue the apps again.

You can ensure Photoshop & Lightroom have the default GPU set to the high-performance discrete graphics card (Nvidia GeForce 1080) by following the Step 7 in this article: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html

Let us know if this help,
Thanks!
Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, thank you for the assistance. 

System info:

Lightroom version: 5.4 x64 [ 20220607-0605-ab0fd72 ] (Jun 7 2022)
NGL Version: 1.29.0.5
WF Version: 4.4 89b063a
VF Version: 1.0.111
HIL Version: 40405
Operating system: Windows 10
OS Version: Windows 10 Home (2009)
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Computer model: To Be Filled By O.E.M. To Be Filled By O.E.M. / AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor
Logical processor count: 16
Processor speed: 3.4 GHz
Built-in memory: 32700.5 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32700.5 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 1501.4 MB (4.5%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 2720.3 MB
Memory cache size: 452.9 MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 14.4 [ 1121 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 9
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 297MB / 16350MB (1%)
Camera Raw real memory: 297MB / 32700MB (0%)
System DPI setting: 96 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 2560x1440, 2) 1920x1080
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info: DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (30.0.15.1295) - 8 GB
Graphics Processor Detail: loaded: Yes, supported: Yes, compute: Yes, init: I4_GPU3, hard: success, soft: success, al: Yes, dl: No
OS Media Capability: true

Application Folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom CC
Settings Folder: C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom CC
Library Folder: C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Local\Adobe\Lightroom CC\Data

The 1440p monitor is the default/primary and both are plugged directly into the gpu.

The 1440p is on display port and the 1080p is on HDMI.

Lightroom and Photoshop work fine as long as the 1440p monitor is turned off, it can still be connected. I have also gone through the steps in the link provided and confirmed that it is using the discrete graphics card (Nvidia GeForce 1080).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines