• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS camera raw edits to .dng not showing after upload to Lightroom.adobe.com

Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been paying for Lightroom with photo storage but still using desktop photoshop CS 2018 with camera raw 10.2 to edit photos sometimes.

I edited a bunch of .DNG files in photoshop camera raw on my PC and the edits (masked adjustments, etc) show up on the DNGs when viewed in Windows, but when I uploaded the edited .DNG files to http://lightroom.adobe.com the straight-out-of-camera photo shows up, no edits. 

I could save the edit as a JPG but if I'm paying for 100gb of photo storage I'd rather upload the lossless version! 

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

See attached screenshots for comparison - note the foreground buildings in sunset photos are brightened in edited photos, and still dark/unedited on screenshot of lightroom uploads.

Adobe Camera Raw 10.2 on Photoshop CC 2018 on windows 10 - edited .DNG files show up fine locally.
web-uploaded .DNGs to http://lightroom.adobe.com - no edits show up.

TOPICS
Web , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

SOLVED:

Edits will only show up when dragged and dropped onto browser if I pay for full LR/photography combo plan.

Edits show up if I upload VIA MOBILE DEVICE and then view on web, because I have LR mobile plan.

....ok!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot be sure of this, but, does Camera Raw 10.2 save the CR edits to the DNG file.?

It would seem so if you see the edited versions in Windows File Explorer.

If it does not, then the DNG you are importing to Lightroom IS the original out-of-camera RAW file.

Perhaps the ACR10.2 edits in metadata are not being recognised by Lightroom (currently equivalent to ACR v14.3)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

looks like no, only sidecar XMP.

However, I redid edits after installing ACR 14.3 which does have an "embed XMP file in RAW" option and still the edits don't show in lightroom.

When I download the copy from Lightroom web (it says ".dng (unedited)" FYI) the edits DO show back on the PC again... strange!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2022 May 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to clear up some questions or misconceptions-

I redid edits after installing ACR 14.3

Are you 'Opening' the DNG file 'with Photoshop' that allows you to edit in ACR?

Are you clicking on the [Done] button in ACR to save metadata to the DNG?

Do you realize that Editing metadata is saved INSIDE a DNG file, and not as an extra sidecar XMP file?

download the copy from Lightroom web

A DNG download from Lr-Web will NOT contain the edit metadata, so it will be the same as 'out-of-camera'!

See the dialog says -"No Edits."

2022-05-03 17_17_01-Adobe Lightroom — Mozilla Firefox.jpg

When I download the copy from Lightroom web (it says ".dng (unedited)" FYI) the edits DO show back on the PC again... strange!!

Doesn't happen in my experience!- Are you looking at the file you edited in ACR, or at the 'Downloaded' file? You could be seeing the ACR edited file, and not the 'Downloaded' version.

I redid edits after installing ACR 14.3 which does have an "embed XMP file in RAW" option and still the edits don't show in lightroom.

This is 'Editing' the 'local' copy of the file AFTER having Imported to Lr?. These edits will NOT change the image imported to Lightroom-mobile!

There is no 'Sync' of editing metadata from ACR to Lr (after Importing).

There IS (or can be) a sync of editing between Lightroom-Classic (Developing) and Lr.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answering your clarifying questions!

re: ACR edits
1.) I am dragging the DNG files (multiple at once) into photoshop from Windows explorer, which opens them up in the ACR film strip viewer.

2.) I am hitting "done" after making changes in this ACR window (which is a lot like the LR edit window), which then shows a progress bar before photoshop can close down (because it is writing data to the .DNG)
3.) yes, that's how I presumed the edits were saved when I re-opened the .dng files later in desktop PS and maybe how windows saw them, too. Hence also why I was confused that they didn't carry over to the Adobe LR mobile or Web views.

Re: seeing edits on .dng file I downloaded from light room web

1.) Yes, I am viewing the copy I downloaded after uploading to LR web and not seeing edits there. the download button even says "download .dng (unedited)" vs "Download .jpg (with edits)" on the webpage. I saved it as a separate file name ending in "-LR" and shared it on the google drive folder I linked, to be extra explicit and careful. I see the edits BOTH when I open them in ACR as described above, and when I "preview" the images as thumbnails in windows explorer or by double clicking to open them in the windows 10 "Photos" App.

re: editing again in ACR 14.3 versus ACR 10.2
1.) I understand there's no automatic sync. I first deleted the .dngs I had edited in ACR 10.2 from lightroom web storage, then uploaded versions edited again in ACR 14.3 as a test, same thing happened (no edits showed). Used same process as described in my first clarifying answer about how I'm actually opened the files and what flow I'm uisng to "save" the edits in ACR within Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to clarify, yes the "download .dng" shortcut says "no edits" on lightroom web: perhaps this means none of the edits MADE WITHIN lightroom web or lightroom mobile. 

However, the edits I made to the .dng file in ACR (BEFORE uploading the .dng to lightroom web) still show up after downloading it gain frrom the browser using this "no edits" link. They just don't show up within lightroom web or mobile gallery/fullscreen. So it's as if the LR Mobile can't actually -IMPORT- .dng edits either, even if done in ACR beforehand and embedded to file...

can you do a test using the same process I described (make exposure or mask edits in ACR within photoshop, hit "done", let it save, drag the .dng into light room website online or back it up to Lightroom web by some method and check if the ACR edits show?

I feel like even if edits within LR mobile or web are proprietary, they should be using the same metadata that ACR embeds into the .dng. It doesn't make sense that only making edits on mobile or web should show up when they're both using ACR as the "engine"via which to store edits, I assume....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(((and I hope you see below my reply to Jao vdL below with the google drive link https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1SUvUrgw8FiM6V3T-nwYtRVkcqZo2fmlc?usp=sharing which you can use to test my specific files if you're so inclined! thank you! 🙂 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share one of these dngs? Easiest is dropbox or similar and post the link here. The edits you do in camera raw should show up in Lightroom as they should be contained in the embedded xmp sidecar in he dng file. he older camera raw shouldd not be a problem. When you edit in camera raw, make sure you hit done (or open) at the end to make sure camera raw saves the xmp. Also, you might need to actually go into fullscreen on the uploaded dngs to see the edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a Google Drive Folder with both the .dng I uploaded and a copy re-downloaded from http://lig...

Interesting troubleshooting point: the same edits that were missing on http://lightroom.adobe.com! show up on both these files when viewed on my PC!

Does this mean that web lightroom doesn't recognize my version of camera raw's embedded changes to the file? Any ideas?

I did enter full-screen / edit dialogue in http://lightroom.adobe.com to see if that would update/refresh to show edits to DNG, no dice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

**EDIT** I just downloaded and installed Adobe Camera Raw 14.3 (newest), re-edited and exited (hitting "done" button) camera RAW and added a third image to Google Drive folder, IMGP6234, which was edited in 14.3 as opposed to 10.2

Attached screenshot of the 14.3 settings I'm using. 

In 10.2 there was no "embed XMP" option, only "save sidecar XMP"... but none were present in the folder that housed the .dng files anyway. I made sure to check "show hidden files" in windows explorer, nada.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

SOLVED:

Edits will only show up when dragged and dropped onto browser if I pay for full LR/photography combo plan.

Edits show up if I upload VIA MOBILE DEVICE and then view on web, because I have LR mobile plan.

....ok!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines