• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PSD file synced to LR is missing layers

Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported a photo into Lightroom Classic (11.1).  After some basic development steps, I opened it in Photoshop (23.1.0).  In PS I created a composite, adding two layers.  I saved the result (with all layers visible)  as a PSD file.  In LrC, it appeared correct, with the information from all layers included.  I then added the image to a synced collection.  (I made a few additional edits in PS, always using the Edit Original option.)  After all sync operations were complete, I opened Lightroom (on both the desktop and Android) and discovered that the image appeared as if it included only Layer 0.  (Additionally, in the LrC filmstrip and on the Android it had a strange aspect ratio.  The aspect ratio is correct when I view the full size image in Lr on the desktop.)

As an experiment, I opened the image in PS, clicked on Layer > Flatten Image and saved it to a different PSD file.  Back in LrC, I added this image to the same synced collection.  The flattened image looks correct in all versions of LR.  Is it expected that I should flatten PSD images before syncing them with LR?  What else might account for this?  I should say that I have made many, many composites and multi-layered images in the past and never had a problem with images synced to LR.

Note:  the uploaded file has been downsampled to fit the 47 mb maximum size requirements of the discussion.

(I am running macOS Catalina 10.15.7.)

TOPICS
Android , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Please remember that Lightroom Classic syncs smart previews, not originals. You cannot sync a layered PSD file from Lightroom Classic to the cloud and expect to retain the layers, because smart previews do not support layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear that. Could you please try resetting the preferences of Photoshop and see if it helps?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Note: Make sure that you back up all your custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preset-migration.html

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Sahil, 

Resetting the Photoshop preferences did not help.  I believe the problem is with Lightroom Classic, not Photoshop.  

I noticed further that when going from the Library module in LrC to the Develop module, the same problem occurs.  It does not occur in the Library, Print, Slideshow or Web modules.

I have not seen or been able to recreate this problem with any other images or files, including a copy of the image in question by executing Image > Duplicate. . . in Photoshop.

So I guess this was a transient error that I cannot reproduce.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please remember that Lightroom Classic syncs smart previews, not originals. You cannot sync a layered PSD file from Lightroom Classic to the cloud and expect to retain the layers, because smart previews do not support layers.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Johan.  So here's how I eliminated the problem:

In LrC, with the problem photo selected, I clicked Library > Previews > Discard 1:1 Previews followed by Library > Previews > Build 1:1 Previews.

[Earlier, I tried Library > Previews > Discard Smart Previews followed by Library > Previews > Build Smart Previews.  This had no effect.]

So, I still do not know what caused the problem (and I am unable to recreate it), but now my image is repaired and syncs to Lr fine.  My guess is that there was a crash or something like that as the previous 1:1 preview was being built.  I would be surprised to see the problem again, but now I have some clues as to what to try in order to fix it if it does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@TomHackettPhotography wrote:

Thank you Johan.  So here's how I eliminated the problem:

In LrC, with the problem photo selected, I clicked Library > Previews > Discard 1:1 Previews followed by Library > Previews > Build 1:1 Previews.

[Earlier, I tried Library > Previews > Discard Smart Previews followed by Library > Previews > Build Smart Previews.  This had no effect.]

So, I still do not know what caused the problem (and I am unable to recreate it), but now my image is repaired and syncs to Lr fine.  My guess is that there was a crash or something like that as the previous 1:1 preview was being built.  I would be surprised to see the problem again, but now I have some clues as to what to try in order to fix it if it does.

I'm puzzled about this 'solution', because 1:1 previews have nothing to do with syncing images. Smart previews and 1:1 previews are totally different things.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines