• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Lightroom cannot start because it cannot create files in the temporary file location"

New Here ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just took my computer home from work this evening, as I do often. Never had any issues with opening up Lightroom but this is the message I received:

Lightroom cannot start because it cannot create files in the temporary file location “/var/folders/fy/10cdg0nj7_370vvhpt6cwk5h0000gn/T”.

Lightroom needs to be able create temporary files in order to operate correctly.

Won't open. Any insight anyone? Can't seem to find the question answered in any of the forums. Not very techy so I'm hoping there's a simple solution for this. Please advise. Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Are you using Lightroom or Lightroom Classic? Do you have plenty of space on your hard drive? Any chance your permissions changed? Maybe you logged in with a different user credentials. Did you update your system recently? What operating system do you have?

Provide as much information as you can. That will help us help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Lightroom or Lightroom Classic? Do you have plenty of space on your hard drive? Any chance your permissions changed? Maybe you logged in with a different user credentials. Did you update your system recently? What operating system do you have?

Provide as much information as you can. That will help us help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The second question. Too much on the hard drive. Deleted old photos, restarted it, and boom. All good. Thank you for the fast response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem:

Lightroom cannot start because it cannot create files in the temporary file location

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp

"[username]" being the name of my Windows user.

I have plenty of hard drive space.

I checked the folder and parents and made sure there were read/write permissions.

I am using Windows 10 64 bit.

I am logged in as an Admin.

Attempting to use "Lightroom the cloud-based photo service".

Check Preferences in CC, but I don't have an option to change or specify which folders Lightroom uses to create files - this is by default, immediately after installing.

I also ensured that I selected "run as an administraotr" when launching CC.

I would post as a new question, but I cannot find a link to let me do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use this link Lightroom — The cloud-based photo service and click the start discussion button on the left side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2019 Jul 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this link and it just takes me back to this thread. I am having the same issue. Windows 10 64 bit. Logged in as admin plenty of room on the hard drive. Even created a folder in the TEMP folder called Lightroom. Uninstalled and reinstalled and got same message. So here I am trying to do edits and I can't do anything until this is resolved. Thanks for any help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New subscriber here and having the exact same issue. I just finished installing it. More than enough space and resources on my system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! 
all of a sudden even I am facing the same error. Lightroom refuses to open, how do i solve it? I work on a mac based system and the error clocked towards the lightroom classic application. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find an answer to this [roblem as I have the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am also having this exact issue. mac user. I will be mid-edit, and the app crashes. I am receiving this error message and it will not open LR, even after trying to restart. I am at a loss. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines