Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Raw Files downloaded showing jpeg settings

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I am new to using Lightroom and the creative cloud. Here is what happened, and I'm not sure how:

-Took raw+jpeg images on my camera

-Uploaded JUST the raw files to Lightroom mobile on my iPad (NOT the jpegs)

-synced to the cloud (Adobe CC)

-cleared/formatted my SD card in camera

-Downloaded the RAW files from the cloud onto my PC using Lightroom Download app (much quicker than doing it in Lightroom)

-transferred the downloaded RAW files from my PC to a blank, formatted SD card

-imported the RAW files from that SD card to the files app on my iPad (should be no trace of jpegs)

-the images in the files app on my iPad are showing the jpeg settings that I took them with (the in-camera film simulations, grain effect, etc.) even though they are the raw files themselves. When I save them to my photos app and view them, they show as the RAW file, with none of the jpeg settings. (Ex. One photo was taken using a black&white effect. The files app on my iPad shows the image in black&white, but when I save it to the photos app, it is in full color)

I am very aware that the above process is a very ineffecient workflow; that is not the point of this post (I am learning as I go).

Does anyone know how/why the jpeg images are showing in my files app when they were never downloaded in the first place?

Are the jpeg settings saved within the raw file for preview purposes? I hope this all makes sense.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom for iPad, go to Settings - Import. At the bottom you will see the Raw Default Settings. Change 'Camera Default' to 'Adobe Default' (or select a custom preset).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Are the jpeg settings saved within the raw file for preview purposes?"

Yes, it sounds like you were seeing the embedded preview from your camera on the iPad.  I'll be interested to hear whether @JohanElzenga's suggestion gets you what you're looking for.  Seems like it would, although the workflow is so convoluted, I'm not completely sure.

"I am very aware that the above process is a very ineffecient workflow"

That's an understatement.   I had to read this about 6 times to figure out what you were doing.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tmickow @JohanElzenga 

Haha, I didn't intend for it to be this way! I ended up realizing I wanted to save local copies of the photos on my iPad as a backup after I already synced to the cloud and cleared the cache in Lightroom. Downloading them back from the cloud seemed like it would take me days (~1000 photos), so I learned about Lightroom download app, which can't be used on my iPad. That's why i had to involve my old PC!

I am just getting into photography and have been quite overwhelmed by trying to create a workflow that works for me, but now I think I have something that works. I'll just back up the photos to my iPad files before clearing the cache 😉

Back to the main point of this post, the import settings ARE set to the Adobe Default, so I'm not sure why my jpeg settings were still saved, but it may be something I just have to wonder about!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you use the Lightroom download app, then the settings are written to metadata by that app. Lightroom for iPad then reads those settings. So maybe that "Camera Default" was already set earlier on (by Lightroom desktop).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines