• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RAW to JPG in LR

Engaged ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I needed to send JPGs to PS for a project. I shot the images in RAW because of an oversight and wanted to change them to JPGs in LR. I looked at two videos and followed instructions but there was no change to JPG as far as I could tell. 

I selected 6 images in LR, went to File > Export, chose export to 'same folder as original photo,' made sure the image format under 'File Settings' was JPEG and clicked on Export. 

I then sent the images to PS as Layers and they were still listed as .CR2. This is the Canon RAW notation.

Now what?

Thanks,

Richard

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your post seems to indicate you may be using Lightroom-CLASSIC (or an 'old' perpetual version)

Please confirm-

Your Lightroom correct name and Version Number?

wanted to change them to JPGs in LR.  "Change" is not possible, only Export to JPG format.

File > Export, chose export to 'same folder as original photo,'  This will 'add' the JPGs to the folder that contains your original CR2 files (Not Replace!).

sent the images to PS as Layers   This is only possible in Lightroom-CLassic. Lightroom (v4.2 Cloud based) does not have the 'in layers' option.

they were still listed as .CR2. This is the Canon RAW notation.  This is correct if you edited the 'original' CR2 files in Ps! Ps will continue to show the Ps 'document' as a CR2 until such time as you [SAVE] the file from Ps. THEN you get the TIFF or PSD file created as set in Lightroom-Classic Preferences. (Until you [Save], Ps only knows the file by it original CR2 name)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello to WobertC,
Thank you so much. That was very helpful. Yes, I do use LR Classic which I
should have made clear. My question is whether the files labeled as CR2
when I send them to PS will behave as a RAW or a JPG file. The project is
image stacking (not focus stacking) which apparently works better (Faster?)
with JPGs.
Thanks
Richard Gold

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question is whether the files labeled as CR2  when I send them to PS will behave as a RAW or a JPG file. 

Photoshop is a 'Pixel' based editor, it does not 'display' raw files. It has to render them in a pixel based RGB format (TIFF, PSD, JPG)

The original raw CR2 will be (invisibly to you) rendered by the Camera Raw 'engine' using the develop edits applied in the Lightroom-Classic Develop module (or Quick Develop). 

The Preferences in Lightroom-Classic only allow you to set TIFF or PSD file-types as the [Edit in Ps] or [Edit in Ps as layers] options.

If you want Ps to open JPGs from your raw files in LrC, you can make a new "Additional External Editor" Preset and set the option for JPG files. But again, you are not able to [Edit in Ps as layers] with this method, instead you would need to [Edit in Ps as JPG] and then use the Ps Menu: File > Scripts > Load Files into Stack....

Open in Ps as JPG.jpg

Why do you suggest that sending JPGs to Ps would be "Faster" for [Edit in Ps as layers]? Faster than layers in a TIFF file? Admittedly JPGs would be 'smaller' than a TIFF.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you again.
When I learned the technique of Image Stacking I was told that using JPGs
would be better than RAW files and I assumed that the RAW files would be
larger and would take additional time to process. Maybe I should inquire
further. Anyway, I will use the RAW files for this project and see what
happens.
Your help is appreciated.
Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@richardg52861327 wrote:
Hello to WobertC,
Thank you so much. That was very helpful. Yes, I do use LR Classic which I
should have made clear. My question is whether the files labeled as CR2
when I send them to PS will behave as a RAW or a JPG file. The project is
image stacking (not focus stacking) which apparently works better (Faster?)
with JPGs.
Thanks
Richard Gold

When you send a raw (.cr2) image from Lightroom to Photoshop, it is initially not saved and so Photoshop has not determined what the file format of the saved image is going to be. That is why you still see '.cr2' as extension at the top of the Photoshop file window. That does not mean that the image is still raw or that it could be saved as raw. When you hit 'Save', the image will be saved as TIFF or PSD, depending on the file format choice in Preferences - External Editor. If you want to save as JPEG, you would have to use 'Save as', not 'Save'. Remember that jpeg does not support things like layers or 16 bits color, so that is normally not a good thing to do.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines