Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Relocating local photos from one SSD to another

New Here ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I am using Lightroom (CC) 4.2 on macOS. I had 105,000 photos on a 1TB SanDisk Extreme SSD which was named 'SanDisk Extreme SSD Media'.

I bought a larger 2TB SanDisk drive and moved the contents of the existing drive to the new one, retaining the existing folder structure.

I started Lightroom with the new drive connected but it failed to recognise that my local photos were 'attached'.

I checked the drive name matched the old one and it does, but I guess this is insufficient.

I went into preferences and selected Browse under the local storage option and pointed this towards the new drive. I thought this would sort it.

However Lightroom is now 'checking' every photo and this looks like it may take days; I presume it is comparing the photos to those stored in the cloud?

Is there any other (quicker)  way to achieve what I am trying to do? 

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

No. When you change the local storage setting it presumes you haven't actually copied all the files yet and will do it all for you. So the best way is to not manually move the files but just attach both the old and new drive and change the storage location inside Lightroom Cloudy. Lightroom will then do the copy operation for you. If you do the copy manually in advance, it doesn't know that what it sees are the correct files and will compare all of them to the cloud copy which can take a very lo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. When you change the local storage setting it presumes you haven't actually copied all the files yet and will do it all for you. So the best way is to not manually move the files but just attach both the old and new drive and change the storage location inside Lightroom Cloudy. Lightroom will then do the copy operation for you. If you do the copy manually in advance, it doesn't know that what it sees are the correct files and will compare all of them to the cloud copy which can take a very long time depending on your internet bandwidth. So yeah just change the preference with all drives attached and you should be good. However it is too late now unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the response. Realised now that i was a little too eager and should have made sure i was actually following the correct process. In the end it did not take too long for the compare process to complete as I am blessed with decent bandwith.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines