• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save and access Catalog and Originals to external hard drive (LR Cloud)

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haven't been able to find a good answer.  Please keep it simple.  Thank you in advance!

This is for LR Cloud on Windows.

I would like to be able to move my catalog off the cloud onto an external hard drive.  This is because I am running out of room on my cloud storage.

I also want to move my originals to the same external hard drive because I know the catalog is location dependent. And I'm running out of space on my computer hard drive.

How do I move and later be able to access the images on LR?  Also, is there a way to get LR to delete the original as well?

I also want to completely avoid using cloud storage in the future.  How do I do this? I'm guessing I have to switch to LR Classic to avoid using the cloud?

I have tried exporting "Original + Settings" as well as edit>preferences>local storage and set the location to the external drive as well as selected "store a copy of smart previews locally..." And "store a copy of all originals at specified location.

Thank you for any help.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Cloud has to have its files in the cloud. You can have it make an copy on a local disk automatically but that is just meant for quicker access. It won't be able to use images that are not also in the cloud so there really is no solution to your conundrum while keeping using Lightroom Cloudy. If you want to locally store and access images the solution is Lightroom Classic indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

What I did was open up LR Classic and syncd LR Cloud to the LR Classic Catalog and the image files.

Then I exported everything to a new catalog/image files folder on a seperate Hard Drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will only capture a very limited set of data. So be careful on your assumptions.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your input.

Please tell me how to do it properly.

Thank you,

-Byron

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I do not think it can be done, at least in terms of keeping everything.

If you involve Classic, you might be able to download the edit/develop aspects from Lr to a local catalog. But you very quickly run into other issues, such as keywords and many other meta-data items do not sync.

If you are out of space in Lr Cloud, I think you have effectively a few choices:

1. Prune some cruft, and free up space.

2. Buy additional space from Adobe.

3. Export final and original versions of some portion you do not access and place both in some local storage you backup. Now, be aware, you will not see them as part of Lr anymore, some develop settings will be saved, not all (I do not know which ones are saved because Inever cared enough to research this). I have not tried to load these exported images back in, and see what the difference was.....

I persoinally went woth option 1. I went from a little over 2TB at one point down to now 500GB.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines