• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save as?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this question is reaaaalllly simple, but I have searched and searched and can't figure it out.  I am returning to photography after a 20 year hiatus, so I guess there have been some updates.  They used to have "save as"?

So, I have some full size images in RAW format.  I want to put them on my Adobe Portfolio, so that means editing them and converting them to .jpg and reducing size and quality.  I can see how to EXPORT a file as a smaller .jpg, but then I would have to import it back into Lightroom in order to use the "connections" function to link the file to my Adobe Portfolio.  This seems like more steps than simply creating a new file and having it save in the Lightroom grid view.  Unless I accidently set this up, it appears that exported files end up in "Lightroom saved files" by default.  Is there a simpler way to edit a file and convert it to .jpg so I can then use the handy tools inside Lightroom to connect the file to my Adobe portfolio?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First- can we establish which Lightroom, and Version Number, you are using?

Post the report you see from the MENU: Help > System Info...

If you are using Lightroom Version 4.4 (on a PC or Mac computer) then Read on-

(Lightroom-Classic will require more steps)

-Lightroom (all versions) do not, and need not, cannot, use [Save As]. 

-You do not have to Export anything either! You do not have to convert anything to JPG!

-You do not have to Import any images back into Lightroom!

Here is the Method from Lightroom-(Desktop) v4.4

1)  You have your raw (or ANY camera file) images Imported to the Library- EDIT [E] them to your satisfaction in Lr.

2)  In the Library Grid (Press [G] ) Select multiple images for the Portfolio page.

3) Drag them onto the [Adobe Portfolio] link in [Connections]

4) A Browser page will open where you edit your Portfolio web site.

5) Done!

1) 2)

2021-09-05 15_50_35-Lightroom.jpg

3)

2021-09-05 15_57_13-Lightroom.jpg

4)

2021-09-05 15_58_11-Adobe Portfolio _ Build your own personalized website — Mozilla Firefox.jpg   2021-09-05 15_58_37-Adobe Portfolio _ Build your own personalized website — Mozilla Firefox.jpg  

5)

2021-09-05 15_59_14-Robert Cullen — Mozilla Firefox.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

Thanks for taking the time to help.  I do have 4.4 desktop on a Mac.  Everything you said makes sense, except one part.  I don't want to upload full size images.  I want to reduce them in size and quality before I upload.  Converting to lower quality .jpg isn't necessary for technical reasons, it's to render the images less appealing to someone who might want to "borrow" them for their own use.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I guess TBMK you will need to Export and Import lower res files.

Not hard to do- Just select images, Hit the [Share] button, choose the file size, export to a local folder, Import the new files.

You can also add a watermark as you Export if you desire.

If you 'share' a file while using Lightroom on an iPad or iPhone, you can select [Lr] as the share destination, and the new file 'automatically' is added to the Library.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, thanks so much for taking the time.  I was sure I was missing something/doing it the hard way.  Thanks for clarifying.  It is indeed so much easier than 15 years ago.

Best, Colin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

Thanks for taking the time to help.  I do have 4.4 desktop on a Mac.  Everything you said makes sense, except one part.  I don't want to upload full size images.  I want to reduce them in size and quality before I upload.  Converting to lower quality .jpg isn't necessary for technical reasons, it's to render the images less appealing to someone who might want to "borrow" them for their own use.  

By @Colinml

To be clear, even though you "share" full res images to Portfolio, all that Portfolio displays to the user are low-res jpegs (it looks like they're about 2000 pixels on the long edge). This is exactly the same process that happens when you share an album via the web, i.e. the user only sees that low-res jpeg on their screens. The difference is that sharing an album via the web lets you enable a downloads option, if enabled the viewer can download full resolution jpegs. Portfolio doesn't have a downloads option (at least, not one I've been able to find), so with the low-res jpegs on display I really don't think you need to go to the trouble of exporting to create low-res jpegs yourself. 

In Portfolio you can also disable the right-click option, which will also prevent some less-savvy users from copying the (low-res) image being displayed, though they can always screenshot them if they're that desperate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, THAT is the piece of the puzzle I was missing.  Thank you. Now I see it's a couple clicks and I'm done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Where is the option in Portfolio to disable the right-click option ? I didn't find it.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Portfolio Settings>Site Options:

Adobe_Portfolio___Build_your_own_personalized_website_and_Inbox.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines