Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving files in Lightroom and computer

New Here ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

This might be a really stupid question, but I feel I have to ask as I've just started properly using Lightroom.

Q: Do I need to have all of the photos I add to my Lightroom albums saved on my computers harddrive as well? Or can I delete them from my harddrive after adding them to my Lightroom albums?

As I don't own an external harddrive yet, and my computer has two small ssd's I'm in trouble now.

TOPICS
iOS: iPhone , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Desktop will store the images in the Cloud, not on your computer. Once syncing to the Cloud is complete then they can be deleted from the computer (although it's always worth keeping a back up somewhere).

However, even though Lightroom stores photos in the Cloud, it does keep some locally also within its cache (recent imports and edits etc)

If you have a small SSD it may be worth reducing the size of this cache in the Preferences:

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/lightroom-cc/using/preferences.html#:~:text=Adjust%20preferences%20in%20L....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Treat yourself to an external hard drive (which are incredibly low cost these days) and set the Lightroom preferences to store your originals on that external drive. Otherwise you'll find youself spending so much time trying to manage the space on your two small internal drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines