• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selecting Library / Images (and ignoring others)

Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experimenting with the idea of traveling in the fall and leaving my laptop at home, taking only my 11" iPad Pro.  

I have LightroomCC and PhotoshopCC for iOS on the iPad. 

In Lightroom, I have a – what, I guess it's a Library, not a catalog? – that has about 600 photos that have nothing to do with the trip that I will be taking.  When I go on the trip, I would like to not have to look at those photos whenever I open Lightroom on the iPad to work with the photos from the trip. 

In LRClassic, that's easy, just create a different catalog for the trip.  

How can I do something like that with the iOS version? Seems to me I'm just stuck with whatever is in the (cloud-based) Library that is associated with my Adobe account. 

Is there any way I can hide or suppress the photos I don't want, or create a new Library for just the new stuff? 

TIA, 

--PS 

TOPICS
iPadOS , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, you only have one Catalog in the Cloud and within this currently only a single Library of All Photos.

(Adobe's cloud based photo storage forerunner to Lightroom did have the ability to have multiple Libraries, which meant you could separate work and private for instance. 
You can vote for that feature reiquest here:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-desktop-cloudbased/lightroom-desktop-multiple...)

You're only option currently is to create Folders and Albums and keep in the Album view for your trip and not All Photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that reply.  I rather suspected that was the case, though it seems like a deliberate attempt to neuter the iOS version of Lightroom.  I wonder who thought that would be a good idea, or what technological limitation might have dictated it.  

I did implement your "Album" limitation suggestion, and I suppose that could work, though it's still not entirely satisfactory. 

Now I am trying to recall how the 600+ files that are in the Cloud library got there, and if I could (temporarily) remove them by turning off the sync from the catalog in Lightroom Classic that I think I used to set up the Library in the Cloud.  My memory is fuzzy, I set all that up a long time ago. 

What's weird is that the 600+ photos... on my local drive, they constitute several GB of data, but for some odd reason the Cloud sync info in LR on the iPad says I'm using less than 1GB in the Cloud... got any idea what I'm missing there?  Something seems... not quite right. 

I will follow your "make that suggestion link" above.  

Thanks, 

--PS 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are there because at some point you have either synced them from Classic Lightroom, or imported them directly into LrMobile.

You can make those photos less visible using folders as suggested, but it sounds more like you don't know why they are there and it might be better to remove them from Lr Mobile - ie unsync them.

To unsync them, go into your Classic Lightroom catalogue and look for the synced Collections - the top of the panel lets you filter collections. Unsync those collections. You'll also find All Synced Photos in the Catalog panel - this will include synced photos in collections and those that are synced but not in collections. Removing photos from ASP will remove them from Adobe's cloud server.

It's not "a deliberate attempt to neuter the iOS version of Lightroom", though, more like a way to allow you to view and edit photos when you are away from your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2021 Aug 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still struggling with this thought I think we are on the right track. 

I would like to (temporarily) UNsync the photos that are presently showing up in Lightroom on the iPad, so that I can just have new stuff there when I go traveling in the fall.  But I seem to be missing a beat somewhere... 

@john beardsworth wrote:

To unsync them, go into your Classic Lightroom catalogue and look for the synced Collections - the top of the panel lets you filter collections. Unsync those collections. You'll also find All Synced Photos in the Catalog panel - this will include synced photos in collections and those that are synced but not in collections. Removing photos from ASP will remove them from Adobe's cloud server.

I have found the Lightroom Classic (LRC) catalog that is sync'ing to the iOS version (let's call it "LRM for 'Lightroom Mobile').  

LRM says that 665 photos are synced from the catalog, and LRC says that there are, indeed, 665 "All Synced Photographs 

The numbers for the collections are a little different.  There is one Collection that has 644 photos, but when I go to 'unsync' that collection, there is no check mark in the menu by "Sync With Lightroom" – which I assume means that collection is NOT synced, and so cannot be UN synced - right? 

In LRC, at the top of the Catalog panel, I see "All Synced Photographs," but nothing happens when I right-click on that so I cannot unsync those 665 photos from there.  

So the problem at the moment seems to be that I cannot find the 665 photos that ARE sync'd to LRM, so that I can UNsync them.  

It has been quite a while since I have messed with this particular catalog, and is strikes me that the Sync source to LRM MIGHT from a different catalog than the one I have open in LRC (confusing, huh?). If that's the case I may be hard pressed to find the original file - is there another way to to remove the files from the Cloud that show up in LRM?  I have all the originals stored and backed up locally so I won't lose anything. 

I will ponder the possibility that there is a 'missing catalog' here and try to figure out what I might have done with it while I'm waiting to hear back. 

Thanks, 

--PS 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2021 Aug 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Follow up:

I did search around and found a couple of previous LRC catalogs of the same material that could have been the original source of the 665 synced files, but when I opened the most likely culprit it says that this catalog is NOT syncecd to the cloud, and judging from the dialog box attached, the one that I started with before I looked into that possibility IS the one that is synced. 

So I'm still wondering how to UNSync those 665 files from the LRM/Cloud. 

Once I have figured that out I will probably start a new LRC/LRM catalog for the project that I'll be starting. 

Thanks, 

--PS 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic only syncs lower res Smart Previews to the Cloud, not Originals. These Smart Prevews don't count against your Cloud Storage quota.

You can delete photos from the Cloud from Classic in the All Synced Photos list.

When you import photos into the iPad this will fill up the local storage until you have internet connection and syncing to the cloud can commence. When it does local full resolution copies will automatically be replaced in the cache by proxies.

Once in the Cloud, if sync is turned on in Classic, all full resolution photos will automatically download to the folder specified in Classic's preferences on your HD.

The main thing to watch out for is that you have enough space on the iPad for all the photos you will take on the trip.

And secondly do you have enough Cloud Storage for them to upload.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines