• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Split Library

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a large library of work and home photos, mostly work, and would like to split them into two libraries.  Can I do this?

-=Tim=-

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

That is something you can do. You can use export as 'original + settings'. That will export the original image with the edits in an XMP sidecar file. When you import that image in Lightroom running in another account, the settings will be read and so your edits will come over. Adobe has also created a special downloader app to download an entire account, but I am not sure in what format the download takes place.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Lightroom desktop has a single library. You split by using albums and 'folders' which are album sets. So create a work folder and a private folder and create albums inside these folders.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you are using Lightroom (the cloud version), not Lightroom Classic. If so then the answer is no. You can only have one Lightroom library per user account. If you are using Lightroom Classic, you could create separate catalogs, but only one of those catalogs can be synced to the Lightroom cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So my only choice is to export the current versions of the smaller library (its MUCH smaller) and then import them into a new Lightroom library that I'd have to setup.  I'd lose my originals and edits on those exports right?

If it is what it is that's OK, I'll live with it.

Thanks!

-=Tim=-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is NOT possible to have two Lightroom Libraries if you are using the cloud version of Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not with two different accounts?

-=Tim=-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes with two different accounts that you sign in and out of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm puzzled about what you plan to do. Exporting all your images and settings from a Library is possible, but if you would then set up a brand new library (under the same account) and import these images again, what do you think you would accomplish? Or do you mean you want to move photos between different accounts?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Between different accounts, home and work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is something you can do. You can use export as 'original + settings'. That will export the original image with the edits in an XMP sidecar file. When you import that image in Lightroom running in another account, the settings will be read and so your edits will come over. Adobe has also created a special downloader app to download an entire account, but I am not sure in what format the download takes place.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But that's a complete account?  I need to download part of an account. 🙂

Thanks for the original+ idea.

-=Tim=-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a shame that you cannot have multiple Libraries as the Cloud Based Lightroom's predecessor (Revel) had such a feature.

I still think this would be a great feature and created a request quite a while ago if you want to add comments to that:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-desktop-cloudbased/lightroom-desktop-multiple...

For what it's worth, even though Adobe say this feature won't ever be coming, there's always hope!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines