• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stuck on "Checking free disk space" in Lightroom (Windows)

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2022 Jun 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Checking free disk space" is locking up my Lightroom Program no matter what I do. I have uninstalled & re-installed it several times and it still won't work. I have 2 TB of free space available.  I NEED a solution or I'm going to drop this subscription.

{Title edited by Moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that you're getting an error message that says "checking free disk space" in Lightroom Desktop. We're here to help.

Which version of the app and Windows are you using? Is there any update pending? ( https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/keeping-lightroom-up-to-date.html ) Where are the images located? When do you get this error message? Is it while performing any task? 

Lightroom needs to copy the images to the local hard disk first before it can upload them. If it did not do that, the import speed would be as slow as the internet speed, and if you did not have the internet at all temporarily, you would not be able to import at all. That is why it needs hard disk space.

There is a problem with Lightroom not clearing up this local storage after uploading for a long time, so your hard disk can get full of older images. These images could be deleted because they have been uploaded, but Lightroom doesn't do that (quickly enough). You can delete them manually if you know the images are safe and sound in the cloud.

We're here to help, need some more info. 

Thanks.

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I keep having trouble with "checking free space on disk." I have uninstalled and re-installed LR on my desktop but I STILL get the same result. I have a 4tb ssd that is not even half full so I don't understand why this keeps happening. I NEED THIS FIXED.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines