• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Suggestion for Cropping Tool in Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A suggestion for future updates to Lightroom.

I find that when doing image crops in Lightroom, there is one crop method that doesn't really exist. Defining a crop by pixel size. One can do a crop to any pixel size but you don't really know what you have until you do it.

How about including the ability to definie the width and height of a crop by actual pixels and save that crop definition as a preset the same way it stores other custom crops?

An example of when this would be handy would be if I wanted to produce a 400x600 pixel crop of an image I'd like to use as an example of fine detail at a websize resolution without having to resize the cropped image to an exact pixel dimension. As it is now, I can get close by watching the result in the Info display, but that's after the fact and it often requires that I play with it to get it where I want it, and it's often difficult to get an exact crop because Lightroom my end up a couple pixels long or short.

A small thing, but something I think would be quite useful for many of us.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Lightroom does not actually modify the master image, the only thing you can do is specify the crop ratio. Then, when you choose to export a copy of the image, that is when you can specify the actual pixel size that you want the copy to be. It is not possible to change the size of the master image in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I know all that, it doesn't address the suggestion.

when you create a custom crop in LR one way is to specify a numeric ratio and when you create that custom crop and size the crop using that ratio it reports the actual pixel dimensions of that custom crop in the info display. It knows the pixel dimensions you size the crop to. Instead of creating a custom ratio, simply enter the pixel dimensions and the crop sizes to those dimensions. For example, You shouldn't have to resize the image when exporting to get the pixel dimensions you need the export to be. It has nothing to do with non destructive editing of the raw file, Younare simply creating a custom crop based on actual pixels.I would like to see the ability to grab an actual crop based on a defined slice of pixels. It is not a difficult math problem to solve with programming, it's already doing the math. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, ended the comment too soon.

An example of how this would be useful. 

Lets say I want to take a full size image from a dslr and crop it to exact pixel dimensions so I can show a 1:1 zoom of the detail of that image on a web page. If I could crop it to an exact pixel dimension based on actual pixels of the image it would eleminate the need to play with resizing, looking at the new pixel dimensions and then recropping the image to get to the actual pixel dimensions I want to show and the end result would be a cropped image that showed the image in the exact pixel dimensions I gave it. Lets say I want to show a viewer a 100% view of an image at 600 x 400 pixels. I could export that cropped image without resizing it and without changing the resolution of the image when I exported it. Or lets say, I want to emulate the difference between a full frame sensor and a aps-c sensor, I could crop to the exact dimensions of the aps-c sensor and use that crop to demonstrate the difference. There are many other useful things that could be done with cropping to an actual pixel count rather than a ratio and it would be precise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I indicated in my previous reply, Lightroom does not modify the master image. There is no way for Lightroom to shrink the size of the master image as far as pixel content is concerned. The only way for you to do what you are wanting to do is to crop the image to the ratio that you want and then export a copy that meets the pixel dimensions you require. Then you could import that copy back into Lightroom so that you can demonstrate the 1:1 or 100% view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I indicated in my feature request and in my earlier post, I'm not interested in modfying the original image. I just want an exactly sized window for a crop based on pixels. Thus the feature request. Lightroom knows the pixel dimension of your crop as soon as you make the crop and reports it to you. I want to tell Lightroom the exact pixel dimension of the crop without have to play with it until it's something close. All the extra worki isn't necessary, unless the programmer can't figure out the simple math problem and incorporate it. I don't think it should be hurculean math problem beyond the ability of a computer to calculate. I can do it in my head.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason your Photoshop approach is working is because it is the process of creating the secondary image, exactly what I am describing, exactly what I expressed is necessary in order to accomplish your goal. I know you don't accept my answer, and that's okay. Describe your dilemma and your request on that other forum. Hopefully, someone else will have some idea to prove me wrong, but I suspect not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, basically what you are saying is that it can't be done. I'll agree that it can't be done with the current version of Lightroom.

The photoshop solution proves it can be done, because I can do it in photoshop. All the tools are there because the code is there. Without modifying the original file in photoshop, I can create a crop window, resize that window and display the X & Y crop size in pixels as I drag the handle of the crop window. Nothing is destructive until I save the file. It's all done in memory using code. I would bet that a skilled developer/programmer, familiar with the crop tool could make it happen fairly quickly. Probably in less time than we have debated this, several days now.

It's just me suggesting a feature. If you can fly to the jupiter with a computer doing the navigation, you can make a scalable window appear on your screen and tell you the dimensions of that scale, or even define the scale. It's just software, not magic. And it most certainly isn't impossible. I've written software that does far more complicated things than manipulate a bitmapped image in memory.

Thanks for your time. I'll take it elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Of course it can be done in Photoshop because Photoshop is creating a new image, cropped to that specific pixel count, and sending that image back to Lightroom. When you're working in Lightroom you don't have tools to physically change the size of the file because Lightroom is a parametric editor, meaning that Lightroom doesn't physically change the master image. Lightroom is that way by design, and as far as I know isn't going to change. If you can't grasp that concept then I suppose we can argue this possibility that you insist is there forever. I realize that I'm antagonizing you, and I realize that you don't accept the fact that it can't be done in Lightroom. So I suppose we will just have to leave it at that. I won't comment on this issue anymore because we aren't really accomplishing anything. You really need to post your suggestion in that other forum where you can get some feedback from some other users, hopefully users who have greater credibility with you than I do.

If you are editing raw images in Lightroom, and send the raw image to Photoshop then Photoshop creates either a PSD or tiff image (depending on preference settings). If you send a JPEG or other non-raw image to Photoshop then Photoshop receives either the original or a copy of that image, then you are actually editing that image, and that is what is it is possible to modify the image file. When you send the raw file to Photoshop you are actually modifying what will be the resulting PSD or tiff file. So that is why it is possible to the actual sizing in Photoshop. The only time you can actually perform sizing in Lightroom is in the export process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you choose to show a cropped image in Finder or File Explorer it will show the original uncropped full-sized image because the image hasn't been cropped in Lightroom. It isn't possible to specify pixel dimensions when cropping using Lightroom. It's only possible to specify a crop ratio. Actual sizing on an image has always been a function of exporting, and as far as I know that is the way it will continue to be. I understand what you are asking, but I think that would have to be a feature that you would have to turn to Photoshop for unless you want to try my exporting suggestion. I think I have given all the suggestions I can give on this one. Perhaps someone else will have better insight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me thinks this is the wrong place to suggest new features for Lightoom.
I'll try elsewhere. I know how to use Lightroom and what it can and can't do. Your comments are just rehashing what I already know with explanations that describe the problem that I'm hoping to rectify some day.. The current cropping tool is limited and cumbersome and not precise in some situations. I'm trying to suggest an enhancement that will improve functionality. What I don't know how to do is to get this suggestion to the folks at Adobe for their consideration. I mistakenly thought this forum might accomplish that. This forum is obviously not an an effective way to do it. From my perspective with experience as a programmer, it's looking to me like it would be pretty simple to incorporate and quite useful as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You think you know how Lightroom works, and you think I'm simply rehashing what you already understand. But I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say. However, here is a link to a forum where the developers monitor more closely and you can present your suggestion for their consideration.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/lightroom-desktop-cloudbased/5f5f2093785c1f1e6cc40874 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the link.

Right now, I don't use lightroom to accomplish this, I export the file into photoshop and have an action that will give me a precise pixel crop on an image. Much less work than doing it in Lightroom, but still cumbersome.

I'm thinking just displaying the pixel crop as you resize a crop window would work, but now it's hit and miss, as you resize it, then have to execute the crop and look in the info display to see what size it is, then go back and tweak it and repeat as necessary. Most of the times, it's still a couple of pixels off, but that could just be mouse precision. It would just be easier to type in the pixel size of the crop window and then just drag it around the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines