• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Understanding searching in Lightroom CC

Participant ,
Feb 27, 2019 Feb 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find it strange that if I want to find pics with keywords such as "basketball" "indoor" the results are pics of both keywords not the keywords together. I want to find indoor basketball pics...

I see you can do it by searching not the keyword but whatever the microscope icon means. That in itself is odd because there is no sequential order in the return it comes back by relavance. I know that can be changed after the fact but odd.

What is the trick to searching in CC and especially when you want to find keywords you have inputted together. Again, I keyword people so if I want to find pics of Justin and Jordyn together what is the best way to do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2019 Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK, it is not (yet) possible to do an AND search in Lightroom CC. Searches on multiple words are always considered as OR.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2019 Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am confused. I am pretty sure the search is supposed to be an AND logical search, not an or. You can see that if you keep adding search terms, it finds fewer and fewer. Do realize that the search searches both the keywords that the artificial intelligence called sensei adds to your images (they are invisible so you can't edit those!) and the manual keywords. sensei is not always the smartest. You can't turn off the searching of sensei keywords.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, you're right. I didn't test it and because of what the OP said I assumed it was OR, not AND, but it's the opposite. Sensei can do stupid things. Take this example, where Sensei has found three photos of Elephants, taken in Norway... It also finds them when I combine 'Elephant' and 'Sweden', so I guess they live somewhere at the border of the two countries.

Screenshot 2019-03-01 at 11.06.28.jpg

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2019 Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The landscape has changed considerably since the last time I visited that region! I guess global warming is extending the range for elephants considerably 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2019 Jun 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am confused.

When using the 'refine search' (the funnel icon next to the search bar), If I filter using the 'People' drop down and choose 'Andrew', for example, I get 90 photos. When I drop it down again and also tick 'Emily', then I get 118 photos. Clearly that is an 'OR' operation if the set size grew by adding another person. Clearly in this case, it is a 'union' operation.

What if I want only photos that contain BOTH 'Andrew' AND 'Emily'? (set 'intersection')

(Or, what if I want photos that contain ('Andrew' AND (NOT 'Emily'))? (set 'subtraction')

It seems like there should be search syntax to do this. If not, consider this a feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2019 Jun 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right if you select people from the popup it behaves as "or". That is different than when you type the name and hit return without selecting the person specifically. Very strange behavior indeed. If you want images with two people in it it only seems to work if you type on name without explicitly selecting the person and than select the other person from the person popup. You can't manually type the two names as separate things to search for and you can't select the two persons since that behaves like an "or". Very unfriendly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May be worth creating a post of the Feedback site Eric, so it can be highlighted to the engineers:

Lightroom Desktop (Cloud-based) | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've got it! Search for Justin and pull up all his pics, then add '&Jordyn' and all your pics will show only both of them. Stu, Serosensa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for this.  Literally no tech support person at Adobe seems to even know that this works, and no Adobe 'how-to' site calls this out whatsoever.  They really present it only as an OR.  I notice using your method, it does often still return a few results that are OR... but it puts them at the very end, so it's at least ranking them by relevance.  Again, thanks!  It also appears critical to select the keyword 'Jordyn' in your example, rather than just searching 'Jordyn'.  When you type Jordyn (or whatever your keyword may be) into the search, it presents a drop down where you can select the keyword 'Jordyn'.  In other words, there's something specific about doing a keyword search rather than a general search for the word.  Hope this helps others!  Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines