• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updating to new version of Lightroom

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated my Mac, only to learn that the version of LightRoom that I use isn't supported by Adobe anymore, and therefor can't even be opened now.  Is there a way to update my LightRoom app without losing the work I've already done even though I can't open the program?  Thank you in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Creative Cloud app, next to Lightroom theee should be a three dot menu that leads to 'Other Versions'. The last supported version can be installed from there. 

I likewise cannot install the latest versions of the Adobe apps as my Mac will only tun up to 10.13.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we just check what version of "Lightroom" you were using? You've posted in the cloud-based "Lightroom" forum, however it might be that you were using a perpetual-license version of Lightroom from before it was renamed to Lightroom Classic in 2017. If you have an Adobe subscription, then the answer from @selondon would be correct, but if it was a perpetual license version we'd need to know the actual version number that you were using (and the MacOS version that you've updated to).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I failed to mention in my original post that LightRoom was working just fine for me for a long time after I started getting the notifications that it may need to be updated.  As long as it was working, I didn't figure I needed to update it.  

The last time I was using LightRoom a couple weeks ago, it actually stopped working and closed while I was in the middle of importing some photos.  I tried fevery day for about 2 weeks to get it to open again, but all it would do is attempt to load with the colorful spinning ball going on forever.  This is what prompted me to decide to update my mac, which I had also never done.  

So that said, I do believe I am using a perpetual license version because I also have never used the cloud.  I have LightRoom 6, and my Mac has been updated to macOS Big Sur version 11.2.2. 

Thank you for your help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, updating your Mac to Big Sur was not the best thing to do to resolve the issue you were having with LR6. Did you use the Migration Assistant to port your existing apps to Big Sur, including LR6? The issue is that the installer for LR6 is 32-bit code, which cannot run on Big Sur, although the actual application itself is 64-bit code which will run on Big Sur. So if you migrated the app from the old OS to Big Sur, it should continue to run OK but it can never be re-installed should that become necessary.

The initial problems with LR6 are likely to do with the fact that some of the features in LR6 use 3rd-party code (notably Maps and Face Recognition) and I believe the license for some of them has expired. See this article which might explain the issues you were having: https://petapixel.com/2020/12/24/adobe-lightroom-v6-is-falling-apart/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I've decided I just need to go ahead and purchase or subscribe to another version of LightRoom.  I still hace all my photos in Raw format and will just have to start over.  I believe I still have some presets saved as well.  So, now, what version would you recommend I try?  And will I still need to use a digital converter to convert my photos into something LightRoom will recognize??  Although the app has seemed to disapear since the update... 

This is so frustrating and I really, really appreciate all your help!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Tifani1218 

You will need to-

1) Subscribe to the PHOTOGRAPHY PLAN (20GB)  Annual subscription US$9.99/month.

(NOT the Lightroom Plan (1TB) )

2) You install the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App.

3) Using the Desktop App you install LIGHTROOM-CLASSIC v10.1.1 (the latest upgrade to LR6)

4) You start Lightroom-Classic ('Open' from the Desktop App) and it will upgrade your LR6 Catalog and you 'carry on' as before.

$9.99 PHOTOGRAPHY PLAN (USA)

Compare plans | Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is such a relief!!  Thank you, so much for all your help!!  I'm going to see about getting this taken care of today.  You have been a lifesaver!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to start over.

If you subscribe to a plan that includes LR Classic, you can just open your existing LR6 catalog.  LR-Classic (the new subscription) will open your LR6 catalog and convert it/update it.   You will NOT lose any edits that you made in LR6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much!!  This is such a relief!  I really appreciate all the help I've received on this issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines