• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Use NAS for local backup

Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The feature to backup originals on a NAS has recently been introduced but it is hard to find further information about what exactly this means. I currently use Lightroom Classic in combination with a NAS. However, for certain workflows I prefer Lightroom CC and it would be very handy to be able to access the photos on my NAS. Is this what the new backup feature is about? And what if I start to use it? How does it affect my Lightroom Classic (if at all?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

You could place images in LR Classic into collections and mark the collection for sync. Activate sync under the identity plate (top-left)

That would send smart previews to the cloud.

They would then be available in LR CC, for example on a laptop, or on any mobile device. Any editing would link back to your LR Classic originals on the NAS. But things like keywords don’t sync.

If you import new photos into LRCC, the originals will upload to the cloud and then down into LR Classic. Set up the NAS as t

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s not designed for back up. It is simply a local storage option in place of the default cache. In fact if you delete a photo from the cloud it would also get removed from the selected storage location on the NAS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, @99jon. Not sure though what it means for my workflow. As said I am using a combination of Lightroom Classic and Lightroom CC. Can I simply point Lightroom CC to the photos on my NAS? I guess that doesn't make sense, as it would "miss" all the meta information from Lightroom Classic (edits and ratings), right?

But what is then the solution? I guess that finally it is either Lightroom Classic or Lightroom CC, hm?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could place images in LR Classic into collections and mark the collection for sync. Activate sync under the identity plate (top-left)

That would send smart previews to the cloud.

They would then be available in LR CC, for example on a laptop, or on any mobile device. Any editing would link back to your LR Classic originals on the NAS. But things like keywords don’t sync.

If you import new photos into LRCC, the originals will upload to the cloud and then down into LR Classic. Set up the NAS as the storage area in LR Classic prefs. That would give you an original in the cloud going forward and a backup copy in LR Classic. Use the default storage location in LRCC and you will avoid duplication. After initial copying the files will drop out of the cache automatically. In fact you can limit the size to 25% or lower.

You then don’t need to worry about deleting originals in the cloud as you will always have a copy in Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again, 99jon​. I think this is the way to go. I will keep an eye on Lightroom CC to evolve a bit more and add missing functionality. But the approach you have described allows me to benefit from the cloud today and switch to the cloud anytime I want. Thumbs up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this, @99jon! Sounds like a solution that might work in my situation as well.

I basically want to keep my photo originals where they are on my NAS and copy them to LRCC. My understanding from your post is that this can be accomplished by syncing collections from LR Classic to LRCC.

Ideally, I would be able to "attach" LRCC to the same folder structure on my NAS, in the same was as can be done with LR Classic (which is what I used to create that folder structure initially by the way). But it doesn't seem like LRCC is able to reference photos in that way (they must be in Adobe Cloud as far as I understand). This is a bit of a PITA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

>But it doesn't seem like LRCC is able to reference photos in that way (they must be in Adobe Cloud as far as I understand). This is a bit of a PITA.

That is correct. Lightroom Cloudy cannot reliably deal with local storage in this way. Many have tried unsuccesfully to have a mixed Lightroom Classic/Lightroom Desktop workflow where both use the same local storage. It can lead to really bad data loss problems and you really do not want to go there. If you need control over your local storage and only want part of your images in the cloud, Classic is really the only solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines