• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using both LR CC and LR Classic

New Here ,
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used LR since it was first released. I purchased CC because I thought the CC Cloud storage feature would protect images until I had them processed. Here's how I use both. I use LR Classic to import from my card-so in this process the card is copied to a disk and I can proceed to work in LR Classic as normal. I also copy the file from the disk into LR CC and CC syncs the file to the 1TB Cloud storage. But, for some reason when I am in LR Classic a duplicate of each images appears in the filmstrip-and when I click on the duplicate in the Development Module and it says Imported from LR Mobile. What's going on. Is there some place I can read about this process. Thanks Larry Petroff

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ideally and briefly, others will expand, it may be best to import in Lightroom CC first then you wouldn't need to import into Classic.

All files will sync back down to Classic from Lightroom CC (Web, Mobile and Desktop), when sync is enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

selondon, thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to wait for a few more replies before I close the thread. Your idea seems most helpful. Larry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my opinion, there's no need to wait for other replies. From what I have observed, selondon is probably one of the more knowledgeable users of Lightroom CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha cheers JIm. There are caveats though, like the lack of Keyword sync.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also Import into Classic, create Collections and sync them to LrCC, this will sync the Smart Previews.

Then in LrCC, import the Originals and this will overwrite the Smart Previews In the Cloud but not download the Originals again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Selondon,

Thanks again. Does the second method you suggested, where you sync the Collections, offer any advantage over importing into CC? Most of the jobs I'm concerned with are 1000 to 1500 images.  Would the second method let me work in LR quicker? My internet upload speed runs around 0.75 to 1.5 Mbps.  I usually need to work on 20 or so images the morning after I shoot.

Another question; when I make adjustment to images in Classic can I sync them to the Cloud?

Thanks Larry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you import directly into Lightroom Classic CC and share those images via collections, those collections will be smart previews and not full-sized images. As you edit the images in Lightroom Classic CC, the adjustments you make will automatically apply to any images that have been shared in your Lightroom CC environment. The smart previews are large enough to enable clients to evaluate, I believe. Another advantage of working this way is that these collections will not impact your allotted cloud storage. The one disadvantage is that if you need them to be full-sized images in the cloud, they cannot come from a shared collection from Lightroom Classic CC. The only way to get full-sized images into Lightroom CC is to import them directly into that program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Larry,

I think it depends if you require the full res in the Cloud right away. Given your internet speed, it may be best to work the second way and upload the originals for storage at a later date. As Jim says, the Smart Previews may be good enough for your initial requirements.

Give both workflows a go under test conditions as see what suits I guess?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 20, 2018 May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am really happy with LR CC but still have to use classic for tethered shooting....i use LR mobile and CC cloud for all my editing, yes applying adjustments one by one image at a time is a pain but instead of applying those looks first (like i used to do) i just do it after a strong edit....

so when i shoot tethered, it really is the only time i open classic at this point....i dont even have any images in my classic catalog....after the tether session, i just import the images into CC (delete any reference in classic) and work from there....

i just dont see how i can use classic and CC on one system....i do have and want all my images in the cloud but it would be nice to have the classic options (like a more solid export panel) when i do need them....

there is no way to shoot tethered into classic and have the actual raw files in the cloud and in CC?

i wouldnt even mind shooting tethered into classic and then importing into CC but once sync is set up in classic that option requires another step of deleting as well as making sure that the previews already sent up to the cloud during the tether session dont show up as duplicates?

and doesn't having CC and classic on one system mean 2 complete LR catalogs (incl previews,...) taking up twice the storage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2018 May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>there is no way to shoot tethered into classic and have the actual raw files in the cloud and in CC?

No unfortunately, Classic will not upload full raw files. Quite unfortunate as it would be the perfect solution. Add you vote here: Lightroom Classic: Should be able to Sync full raw files to the cloud, not just smart previews | Pho...

i wouldnt even mind shooting tethered into classic and then importing into CC but once sync is set up in classic that option requires another step of deleting as well as making sure that the previews already sent up to the cloud during the tether session dont show up as duplicates?

No need to delete anything from anywhere. You can set your tethered collection (the one you auto add the tethered images to) to sync. The new images will show up almost immediately as smart previews that are fully editable in Lightroom CC (It's actually quite need to see this work). Then you simply import the raw files in CC and they will automatically be recognized as being the same images and on the cloud will get replaced by the full raw files and stay in sync in Classic as well as in CC.

and doesn't having CC and classic on one system mean 2 complete LR catalogs (incl previews,...) taking up twice the storage?

No CC manages it's own local storage and will offload unused images and even (smart) previews. CC stores it's master catalog and images in the cloud. Classic needs local images and catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all of you for your most helpful insights! Larry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my CC local storage is about 185gb right now, and usually my classic catalogs (without raws) have been slightly larger......

it is good to know that syncing the tethered collection in classic will show the previews in CC (i am assuming i need to be on an internet connection for this to happen, so on location this wont work or at least not as well?)  and  CC will be smart enough to recognize the files and replace them....

all in all it does not seem to make much sense for me to even try and do this....i am fine shooting tethered in classic, and i have to import the files into CC afterwards regardless.....i am happy in CC and every now and then i have to bring images into classic for an export or some other reason.....i mostly export through PS if i need a few Tiffs.....

i am expecting more export options and tethered capture at some point in CC anyway, soon i hope.....

would really love to see some tethered iPad LR mobile solution.....that would be amazing.....i know that apple is locking the port but at some point, there will be a way....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am assuming i need to be on an internet connection for this to happen, so on location this wont work or at least not as well?

Yes you need an internet connection on both machines for this to work. When you do it works great. I've done this with an assistant on the iPad in Lightroom CC editing and posting images live to test it.

i am expecting more export options and tethered capture at some point in CC anyway, soon i hope.....

I am fully expecting that to happen but it can take a while looking at the speed at which things have been happening. I doubt that tethering is very high on the priority list.

would really love to see some tethered iPad LR mobile solution.....that would be amazing.....i know that apple is locking the port but at some point, there will be a way....

I would agree that would be great. The port is really only locked down for apple's card readers and camera connection USB thingie it appears. Other stuff (USB sticks for example and all kind of music devices) is actually quite accessible as you can directly communicate over the lightning port (e.g. https://hackernoon.com/building-an-ios-hardware-app-401eb4869012 ) . I think technically this could be done right now with some sort of custom dongle to USB to connect the camera but somebody would need to make that. I am only aware of one manufacturer that did this: Digital Director but ​it needs a specialized app and not sure if you could make this work with Lightroom CC. Adobe could conceivably support this sort of USB interface device and I doubt you need anything as fancy as the manfrotto thing..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yes, unfortunately i dont think tethering is high on the list....

considering that we cant even import directly into LR from the card reader and have to go through camera roll, i dont see apple opening this connection up for direct tethering......there are plenty of cables and adapters but apps cant access......i was always wondering about the digital director.....i dont think it did very well because of the custom app....it also has a built in processor....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines