• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Want store images and edits on external ssd

Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Lightroom creative cloud on mac.  Obviously Lightroom software has to be installed on the same drive as the

OS.  As I have limited ssd space I would like to keep everything else, images edits etc on my external ssd.  Is this possible and how would I do it?  Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Thanks for your reply.  So unless I am connected to the internet I cannot work on my images in Lightroom.  Therefore the speed of my connection effects the efficiency of Lightroom when applying edits.  I am new to using Lightroom cloud .  So when I first opened lightroom and selected the folder  on my ext ssd Lightroom copied them to cloud.  Now when I go to that folder in lightroom and open the images and edit an images I am working in the cloud folder and nothing is being save to my internal

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Lightroom images and edits are stored in the cloud. If you want to work with images on an external ssd drive you should use Lightroom Classic instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.  So unless I am connected to the internet I cannot work on my images in Lightroom.  Therefore the speed of my connection effects the efficiency of Lightroom when applying edits.  I am new to using Lightroom cloud .  So when I first opened lightroom and selected the folder  on my ext ssd Lightroom copied them to cloud.  Now when I go to that folder in lightroom and open the images and edit an images I am working in the cloud folder and nothing is being save to my internal ssd.  Is this correct?  I read that copies were being save into a cache folder on internal ssd and that this could become quite large and take up a lot of space.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you upload the images from the SSD to Lightroom they are now in the cloud and no longer connected to the images on the drive. Lightroom does save a cache for previews to a file in your pictures folder, and it can get really large. You can also store a local copy of images, but this is completely separate from the originals that were uploaded from the SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your reply.  So unless I am connected to the internet I cannot work on my images in Lightroom.  Therefore the speed of my connection effects the efficiency of Lightroom when applying edits.  I am new to using Lightroom cloud .  So when I first opened lightroom and selected the folder  on my ext ssd Lightroom copied them to cloud.  Now when I go to that folder in lightroom and open the images and edit an images I am working in the cloud folder and nothing is being save to my internal ssd.  Is this correct?  I read that copies were being save into a cache folder on internal ssd and that this could become quite large and take up a lot of space.?

By @defaultlzmjaah94ffz

When you import images in Lightroom Desktop (from camera card or existing hard drive), they are first copied into the Lightroom's designated storage location, and from there they are uploaded to the cloud. So if you imported from an existing hard drive you will now have two copies of those files on your disk system, the original is not managed by Lightroom whereas the copy that Lightroom made IS managed by Lightroom.

The default location for that copy of the imported originals is inside the Lightroom Library.lrlibrary package, which in turn will always be on your main system drive. You can, however, specify a different location for storing Lightroom's local originals, e.g. to an external hard drive. Note that when the images have been uploaded to the cloud the Lightroom local copy becomes eligible for automatic deletion, though that is subject to some complex rules which in turn means the local copy of the originals can remain on the local drive for far longer than expected. Of course, there is an option to store a local copy of ALL cloud-based originals, and they would be stored in the same specified location....and obviously with that option set there would be no automatic deletion of the local copies unless the user elects to delete an image from the cloud.

Assuming that the "Store a copy of all originals..." option is NOT set, then it is entirely possible that when you choose to edit an image it is not locally stored. In that situation Lightroom will need to download a copy of the original from thge cloud (same applies even if you just zoom to 1:1), which is stored in the local location.

In terms of needing Lightroom to be internet connected, that's not always the case. There are two local storage options in the Lightroom preferences.....one to download a copy of all originals, and the other is to download a copy of all smart previews. Either option will allow the user to work offline, though the local copy of the originals obviously provides a more complete editing experience (though taking up far more local disk space).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines