• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Way to replicate desktop workflow in Lightroom for mobile?

Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just bought an iPad Pro to take with me on a road trip from Texas to California, in which I plan to spend a lot of time shooting desert landscapes, then camping at night with limited access to electricity.

I was hoping to use LR on the iPad similarly to the way I use it on the desktop, which is to import all my photos (usually in the hundreds), quickly preview each at full size and either flag or reject it, then filter by the flagged photos and only work on those. 

Although I can flag/reject photos individually, there doesn't seem to be a way to filter them in LR for mobile. Am I missing something? If there's no filter functionality on LR for mobile, can anyone suggest another method I can use to whittle down the number of photos I end up needing to edit? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you importing? From a SD Card?

This should give previews that you can select, albeit small (I can't remember if you can pinch outwards to make these larger).

If not, the other option is the pause syncing in the app and then import. Cull the photos you don't want, delete, then unpause sync, so upload to the Cloud will commence once you are connected to the internet.

Bear in mind, photos imported into Lightroom Mobile will fill up space on the device, which can only really be cleared once photos are synced to the Cloud and the local cache of the high res originals cleared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the helpful reply!

I should start off by noting that last night I discovered on my own how to filter based on both flag and rating, which was my biggest concern. I'm used to the Lightroom Classic interface, and I was really trying to apply my mental model of that UI to Lightroom for Mobile, which is more different than I had assumed.

I did import from an SD card. Just a small batch to get my feet wet adapting my workflow to the different environment. I have yet to try to enlarge the previews, but pausing syncing sounds like it would work as the first in a two-step process, where I discard the photos I know I won't be editing based on their thumbnails, and then filter the remaining ones after I've had a chance to preview each one at screen size.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also don't forget that you'll need enough storage on your iPad if you are importing a lot of photos into Lightroom Mobile.

As it will store them locally, until syncing to the Cloud can happen and is complete, after which the local high res will be replaced automatically as required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines