• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What to do with Collections you don't need anymore? Archiving Possible?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

Since Lightroom Classic lost my trust I'm thinking about checking out Lightroom (cloud based) again.

But since all the pictures are located in the cloud, I would run out of Cloud Storage in a year or less. What to do then? Sure Adobe would love to just sell me more Webspace I supose. But what to do with old Collections that I basically dont need anymore. Can I delete only the pictures but keep the "edit" so in case I need to go back and redo some of the edits I still can? Or is that not possible?

What is the Idea here? Anyone has a good workflow? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't delete the pictures and keep the edits, it doesn't allow that. However, I guess you could use the free Adobe Lightroom Downloader to periodically "archive" the older stuff from the cloud library, then delete that content from the cloud to free up space for newer images. But the Downloader will download the entire cloud library, so you can't easily select just the ones you want to archive, so each time you run it you would re-download those imaghes that are still current. The alternative approach would be to export as "Original + Settings" the images that are to be archived, then delete them from the cloud. You could easily do that on a per album basis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah the "Original + Settings" could be a way to go. Do you know if its also possible just to export the settings? Thank you so much, that has already been a good help to know how a possible workflow could look like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the image in the cloud is a proprietary raw, then the export will create a copy of the (unedited) raw file plus an XMP sidecar file which would contain the edits. In that scenario, you could keep just the XMP sidecar files, but without the original it would just be a waste of disk space.

If the images in the cloud are any other file-type (DNG, Tiff, Jpeg, etc.) the settings are embedded in the actual export copy, so you'd have to keep that copy in order to retain the edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines