• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When will web version have virtual copies? This is the critical missing feature which stops me usin

Participant ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, every 6 months or so I fire up lightroom web version and look for the virtual copy feature. Without it, lightroom web is usless, as I always create severl versions of key photos (e.g. a B&W version, a natural version, and highly processed version etc).  Lightrooom non web version has the huge dissadvantage that noone can search through all your photos by tags etc unless they use your PC and this is very dangerous as they could accidentally delete or change tags.

Anway, why hasnt adobe iimplemented a vitual copy in web version?  Do we know when this missing featur will be introduced?  It sould seem to be a simple piece of development.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surprisingly, it seems you cant edit posts, so I cant fix the typos in the above post, sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be a great help if you used the actual names of the apps that you're talking about, as "web version" and "non web version" are vague and ambiguous. I assume that you really mean Lightroom Classic as your "non web version", though your "web version" could be referring to several different apps which are all part of the Lightroom cloud-based system, one of which is actually called Lightroom Web. Is that the one you mean, or the Lightroom Desktop app, or one of the several Lightroom Mobile apps?

So, assuming that "web version" really means one of those Lightroom apps, you are correct that they do not have the Virtual Copy functionality. They do, however, have the "Versions" function (which is similar to the "Snapshots" feature in Lightroom Classic) which does allow the user to create and save many different "versions" of the same image, but without having to create multiple copies of the same images, virtual or real....and of course the versions do sync across all the Lightroom apps, but not to Lightroom Classic. You should check it out as it may do what you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.  Ill checkout snapshots. Regarding the versions, I have been using lightroom (desktop) for many years, since the first version in fact. Then Adobe Marketing created a web version which was different, and called it the same name: lightroom. I belive they then changed the name of the desktop version to CC, but I still dont understand this.  There is a desktop version with virtual copies, there is a web only version withou them, and I belive there is also a mobile version for ios etc (app).  I have no idea if the mobile version is the same as the web only version.  I tried the mobile version on ios, and found it useless (for me), as I cant give it to my wife and kids to browse (the missing killer feature), as its not read only, so with a few wrong clicks they could wipe out months of work and I would not even notice till a year later. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A brief history lesson:

The original desktop Lightroom that went through from version 1 to version 6 was renamed when version 7 was released in 2017, and was called Lightroom Classic CC (and is currently at version 10.2).

During the Lightroom 5/6 cycle, cloud syncing was added to Lightroom5/6 along with a mobile app (called Lightroom Mobile, initially for iOS only, but Android was later added), and a limited version of the mobile app which ran in any browser and was called Lightroom Web.

At the time of the change from Lightroom 6 to Lightroom Classic CC, a new Desktop app was released and which confusingly was called Lightroom CC. Functionally, it was part of the cloud-based system, basically being the LrMobile app ported to MacOS and Windows desktop systems. 

Since then, the only name change has been the removal of the CC suffix from almost all Adobe apps, so today there is Lightroom Classic and there is Lightroom (which is really a system of apps for different underlying system software, but sharing and syncing the same cloud assets). So there's a Desktop version, a browser-based version, an Android version, an iOs version, an iPadOS version and an Apple TV version. In functionality terms, they are broadly similar (but with some small differences), though none of them yet have the same range of functions that Lightroom Classic has.

In terms of your issue of the lack of a read-only version, I share the concern about handing a phone or a tablet to a family member, or letting them use Lightroom Classic on my desktop systems. Instead, I use the album-sharing functionality that's part of the cloud system, which allows family or friends to use a browser on their own devices and at their own convenience to view the shared albums. They can only view, they cannot change things, so no risk, simple to setup, and more convenient for them and me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Now- "Lightroom-Desktop"  IS a CLOUD BASED version! (that installs on PCs or Macs!)

Only quoting a Version NUMBER will help identify the software, or better still- a screen-clip from MENU: Help > System Info.

I suggest Lightroom-CLASSIC is  the one you have been "using...for many years"

This chart is now a little out of date but it indicates the two separate Lightroom time-lines: The Lr-CLASSIC icon is now like [LrC].

ScreenShot030.jpgCOMPARE LR & LR-CLASSIC (Lr Queen)

"I cant give it to my wife and kids to browse .... they could wipe out months of work"- This is true of ALL Lightroom Versions, if any editing is done, including deletion of photos, etc!

You can, however, just give family a Web LINK to any Albums you have in Cloud Versions. They can then View all photos in the shared Album in any Web Browser.  Just like this example of 5 of my images in an Album    https://adobe.ly/2LcgALI

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines