• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why won't Lightroom save my edits when I export them?

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am new to Lightroom and am unsure what I am doing wrong.

I am using Adobe Photoshop Lightroom V6, Windows 11 Home

traceyktrmanagerscomau_3-1666506876487.png

traceyktrmanagerscomau_1-1666506544344.png

I have edited a photo to have a black and white background and colour people using a mask, below.

traceyktrmanagerscomau_0-1666506513096.png

When I try to export it reverts to a full colour photo. Am I missing a step?

traceyktrmanagerscomau_2-1666506684576.png

Thank you very much in advance for your help  🙂

[moved to the correct forum - Mod.]

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

@Jim Wilde is correct. If you look at the sliders in your second screenshot, then you'll see that they are all still at zero. That means that you have created the mask, but you haven't made any adjustments to that masked area yet. You are looking at the mask overlay, not at the result. This is a common misunderstanding. Here's what to do: First you need to invert the mask, so the background is masked. Right now the subject is. Then set the Saturation slider to -100. Now the background will reall

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you turn the background to B&W? Looking at the image in the filmstrip of the masking screenshot, the background is still in colour, which implies that you haven't yet converted the background. Are you by chance using the mask overlay style of "Image on B&W", which is in fact merely a visual overlay aid and not an actual adjustment to the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jim Wilde is correct. If you look at the sliders in your second screenshot, then you'll see that they are all still at zero. That means that you have created the mask, but you haven't made any adjustments to that masked area yet. You are looking at the mask overlay, not at the result. This is a common misunderstanding. Here's what to do: First you need to invert the mask, so the background is masked. Right now the subject is. Then set the Saturation slider to -100. Now the background will really be B&W and stay that way if you export the image.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you both very much, that is exactly the problem. I didn't realise it wasn't actually making the edit. It is now working perfectly, thank you!! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines