Will LR remember edited photos, later moved to external drives and added back from there ?

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have edited a full year's photos, originally imported to LR from my hard drive (C:/).

I now need to transfer them all to an external disk (and another for backup) to make space - that is, cut and paste from the hard drive to external drives.  I have not exported the edited photos.

If I later want to add them back to LR from the extenral drives, will LR remember my original edits, or do start from scratch ?

Thank you.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It would seem from the tone of your question that you are referring to Lightroom Classic. If that is the case then you need to remember that the adjustments you have made are stored in the catalog and have not been applied to the images UNLESS you have chosen the option to write changes to XMP in the Lightroom preferences. That means that if you cut and paste those images from the scene drive to an external hard drive the Lightroom catalog will lose track of where the images are located. In other words, you haven't learned how to use the Lightroom catalog properly. You should either move the images within Lightroom so that the catalog can keep track of where the images are and therefore keep all of your editing intact, or, the instructions in this tutorial on how to realign the catalog after you have moved images not using the Lightroom catalog.

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines