Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

workflow for photographer

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I do most of my work in LrCC and want to be able to export two versions of everything when I'm done -- I want a small version for social media, and a full size (max 100MB) version for sending to my printer.  I'd like these assets to be automatically in the album with the orignals, and tagged appropriately.

At present, I need to export to a file, then re-import and manually tag.

Is there  a way to automate this process avoiding the export/import?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. And why would you want to?

You can always re-export whenever you need the image again.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few reasons. 

My print provider limits me to 100MB.  LrC let me create an export that says essentially "best quality at less than 100MB".  Lr requires that I do this by trial and error -- trying quality and dimensions settings until I get one that is optimal.  That sucks.  The computer should do that work. 

I like to keep social media sizes handy so that I can bang out a post or ad quickly without having to go into Lr to export something suitably sized.  My workflow is based on the idea that storage is far cheaper than my time.  Having a pre-set set of exports means that I always have copies of my assets handy for this stuff.

Seems simple enough for Lr to add this simple feature.  Export for a given size and please tag it so that I can distinguish it.  Then I can have a smart album of full-rez production images, and an album for social media copies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting on the 100mb limit aspect; that is never a feature I used in Classic, so I have no clue how it works.

I would suggest creating a feature request ("Idea" in Adobe speak), for the max file size export.

The rest of what you are really asking for, is basically an enhanced version of the "publish to disk" feature from Classic to exist in LrD; it does not seem practical for other platforms. The enhancement is the export settings, allowing for specific sizes.

The other choice, is much better integration in Lr to post directly to social media platforms.

Note: I would not create one post with all ideas; one or more would get lost. Secondly, I would include your use cases at the bottom of the idea. This will help others recognize the issue, and also help Adobe actually implement something which solves the problem and reduces guesswork.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are technical, there are a number of tools which can do this externally from Lr, via scripts.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"LrCC"?

Batch Exports are not available in Lr (Cloud version).

In Lightroom-CLASSIC: You can 'Batch' exports of various image size-

Save an Export Preset for the 'large' file. Save an Export Preset for the 'small' file.

Now when you open the Export dialog- place a check mark against both these presets and [Export] - You get both images!

2022-10-27 06_37_03-Clipboard.jpg

The Export Presets can create sub-folders {Large} {Small}, named for the file-size, so your exported images are more easily located.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines