• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom Ecosystem: Selective Sync

LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a professional and have only used Lightroom for less than a year. I do love the redesign and I want to use it but I don't like the auto-sync. How hard would it be to implement an option that prevents auto sync and instead enables manual sync? 

My idea is to add a manual sync option in the settings and when you want a photo to be uploaded to the cloud you should be able to click on the cloud button and hit "Sync" or "Upload". Taking away people's ability to choose doesn't just scare away the pros but also the beginners. 
Also, some advanced features from the original Lightroom need to be added. One of them is the export function. The new export function is terrible. I only see "Small, Full Size, and Custom". The original Lightroom has a lot more export functions.

Idea Released
TOPICS
Android , Chrome OS , iOS: iPhone , iPadOS , macOS , Web , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Selective Sync (by keeping select items local) was released in the Local Storage Feature today on Lightroom Desktop. 

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 211 Replies 211
211 Comments
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be quite useful (speaking of bandwidth) if Lightroom CC would support saving RAW files local only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean like a "never sync" switch? Or what do you have in mind?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is the ability to pause sync by clicking the cloud in the upper right and choosing "Pause Syncing" from the dropdown.

I think this gives you what your looking for, with an additional step.

• Put camera card in
  • Copy images from card to a folder (this is the additional step compared to Classic)
  • Add (instead of import) images to CC

That should have you editing local RAW files without using bandwidth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the long run it would be nice to not only have the ability to choose which files/albums should be kept locally, but also which raw files should be local only (not uploaded to the cloud).
For example I want to upload most of my recent shots (except videos and timelapses) to the cloud, but move the really old ones (also videos and timelapses) onto external drives only and keep just the smart previews online.
Even though Lightroom Classic supports that workflow (with some kind of hacks), I still would like to switch completely to Lightroom CC in the long run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add local data stores to Lightroom CC (Cloud).  Here is why.

Here is a posting I made on the Lightroom Journal. 

To Tom
Hogarty.

Thank you for the opportunity to present myconcerns and ask a single question.

• I think it is a big mistake to create the brand Lr Classic and I think it is deceitful of Adobe to call an incomplete product Lightroom CC.
  • The new Lightroom CC should have been released as a beta product. It is not fit for prime time. In effect Adobe are asking the Lightroom community to beta test this application as it travels from version 0.5 to 1, but unfortunately, Adobe want to charge us for the storage required to do so.
  • If Lr Classic is left to rot and the new Lightroom CC does not allow use of local digital assets then I will abandon Adobe and stop recommending Adobe products.
  • I will not be uploading my digital assets to an Adobe ecosystem ever and will walk away from Adobe completely if Adobe push me into that model.
  • I understand and have manged extremely large data assets for global enterprises and nothing Adobe have done or said so far gives me comfort Adobe are qualified to manage my data.
  • Because of the failings of the Lr import module and because of the disaster to try and re-engineer it (how embarrassing is that) I decided some time ago to create my own PreProcessor for Lr. This does a lot of validation of raw v jpg of my source files and allows me to select by file type and date range with simple clicks of intelligently generated option boxes. I am glad I have that work complete as I can now point the output of my app to Capture One when it suits me to do so (or when Adobe drive me to that decision).

My question.

Will a future version of Lr CC allow me to use my digital assets from a local drive or data store of my choosing.     ????????????

I hope the Lightroom CC project works and that the final solution caters for local digital assets. If it fails I already have my contingency options well covered. I am happy to be contacted regarding thisnote.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mathew, I agree with most of what you said, although I believe the new Lr CC was tested by a large contingent of beta testers. The push to the cloud is a big concern for me as well; I have zero confidence in Adobe to protect my data. I am also prepared to walk away if a faster Lr Classic (or equivalnent) is not developed and supported soon.

I am very interested in the tool you developed, and would like to know if you ever decide to share/sell it!

I subscribe to this list so I get an email for every post/reply made.  Based on the way my inbox has filled up in the last 24 hours, in appears neither Lr CC nor Lr Classic are ready for prime time.

Best, 
AE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback.  I agree  that Lightroom CC Cloud (LrCCC) looks like it got decent beta testing, but while a big project to develop, it is missing so many features it cannot be called a full product, so from my perspective we will be the beta testers as the full feature set is rolled out.

My Lr Pre-Processor is quite sophisticated.  I do not want to bore people with all its features.  Some of the features include 

1. Checking that every raw has a jpg and every  jpg has a raw .... so I do not delete my jpgs and discover later I do not have a raw (or vica versa).
2. My app analyses the source input files and presents me with easy option boxes to include / exclude by file type and or date range. (So I can import raw or jpg only, or put images from different dates into different projects)
3. I cater for non Adobe files, so I can incorporate other files (pdfs, Ms Office )into my project folders.
4. I hash check every file copied.
5. I maintain a list of my projects, each with a unique project number.
6. At time of Ingestation I link my selection of files to a particular project, so they are automatically renamed and stored in a folder system organised by year and project, in chronological sequence.
7. I maintain a table of my cameras and serial numbers, so I get a summary (pre ingest) of the totals per camera. I also use this to recognise what are my images and what images I may be working on for some one else.
8. Each image is renamed with a unique number, but related raw, jpgs and xmp files maintain  congruent file names, so they stay together.

I could go on.  I list these to highlight how in-adequate the Lr Import module is.

I have been asked several times to make this available as a product.  I have declined so far, mainly because I recognise the level of support required to maintain such a product.

I half considered creating a Lr Plug-in Version as a Winter project, but glad now that I did not waste my time.

I intend to monitor developments with Lr Classic and Lr CCC and may modify my views on the current feature set of my app and the possibility of making this more generally available. Too early now to give any definite responses.  If you can send me a private email I will respond and will keep you in the loop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think Adobe is "pushing people to the cloud", AS LONG as they keep LR Classic properly updated to work with future OSs, and add new features as they come along. The problem here is the confusing "branding", and beginners will go to LR CC instead of LR Classic, hate it, and quit. Lightroom CC, to me, seems targeted at Workgroups, not individual photographers, who should continue using LR Classic (which DOES seem faster now).

I went to a workshop last night on "Lightroom Mobile", which is now named Lightroom CC, as is their new desktop app, which no one (except Workgroups) should download and use. As an IT pro for 25 years, I can tell you from personal experience what a DISASTER Adobe's backend servers and services have always been! Every day at work I had to delete one user from our company account and re-add them in order to get them back to work!

With Lightroom CC you could have the shooter in City 1, the editor in City 2, and the Creative Director outputting files in City 3, all within hours of a shoot. If that's not you, just ignore it. BTW, when you download LR Classic, select Advanced Options and deselect "Remove old versions". Then you can use the older version if there is an issue with the new.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice work; that sounds very useful. I fully understand the challenge of maintaining it. You have made it fit your specific workflow, and others would always want changes. I'm not sure how if possible to send you a private message, so here is my email: aestaggeatoutlookdotcom.
Thanks much,
AE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[I don't think Adobe is "pushing people to the cloud", ]

We do not know for sure... yet .... but by rebranding LR CC as LR Classic, I think the writing is on the wall. 

The key question is if Adobe will allow the new Lr CC work with local data stores by the time they push Lightroom Classic out to pasture (as they have done with Lr Perpetual). If Lr CC will only work with cloud based files then for me it is .........  Bye Bye Adobe (and not just Lr) .

I have directed this question to Tom Hogarty, both here and on the Lightroom Journal.  I am very eager to get an answer.   If I do not get a response I have to assume the worst. (and I know the answer may be flavoured with marketing mumbo jumbo to protect their competitive position).

Lets see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made an effort to reply .. but my first attempt to compose your email address failed.  I will try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the potential for multi user involvement and do hope this becomes workable for small teams, large offices, etc.  , but not where to use Lr I have to keep all of my assets in the cloud.  That is what would happen currently if Lr Classic becomes Lr Legacy. I am just flagging this as an issue ... and there is plenty of time right now to solve this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For years now, I have supported Adobe and given them top marks für their products. Und fortunately publication of Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic now show me that even a huge company like Adobe can completely f.... up. I would strongly advise the Adobe management to withdraw at least the unbearable Lightroom CC completely and only offer new software if and when it's acceptably stable. By the way: LR Classic can hardly be called a new version since I can't see any improvement regarding the tools- or the speed. Go back to square one, Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this will sound crazy - but some people already love the new Lightroom CC app. I get that you don't like it, but you can just ignore it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except that it is obviously Adobe's 'favourite child' at the moment, and a lot of people are seriously concerned that it is blinding Adobe to what should be happening to desktop LR - even though we'll be having to keep paying so much yearly for it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New babies often do seem get all the attention for a bit. I understand the concerns though. I know it's not great reassurance, but there are separate teams working on Classic and the new baby CC, so although all the hype is around the new baby, the Classic team are still hard at work in the background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a note. I posted the opening comments on the Lr Journal .... but I noticed they are still awaiting moderation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the moderators of that blog have been at Adobe Max this week, so there will be some delays, but they will catch up, I’m sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For sure... I just spotted that my posting may not be visible to others and did not want to mislead anyone by my opening remarks. I tried to find an edit option to clarify this point  on the original posting, but the edit option had probably expired. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Matthew, I don't see this invisible writing on the wall that you see. I am not a believer in conspiracy theories, and I believe that Adobe isn't dumb enough to lose 70% of their Lightroom user base by forcing everyone to use the cloud for all their assets. Anyone with experience with Adobe servers and backend authentication, like me who has supported creatives for 25 years, knows to stay away from relying on them for anything except a copy in the cloud so you can edit on your iPad/iPhone at the beach!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen Adobe make so many stupid mistakes, nothing surprises me any more. Also, Adobe do not understand the real meaning of workflow for their Lr customers.  Starting a new product just postpones real world usability for another generation.  If we look at the snails pace of the development of their initial mobile product, where you could not even flag your images, do we wait for another 5 generations of releases before CC Cloud gets to ver 1 status.  It is out of my control.... all I can do is watch from the sidelines.  I would like to see proof of Adobe's long term commitment to Lr Classic.  My personal nickname for Adobe is Adobe 80%.  They put a lot of effort in to an initial product and get to the 80% mark quickly.  They spend the next 10 years getting to the 90 % mark then start all over again. I am not a follower of conspiracy theories. Adobe. unfortunately,  have given us plenty of evidence of silly decisions and poor implementations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They make some bizarre decisions, but they know how to make money. I can't believe they'd intentionally kill that large a chunk of their profits! As to proof, time will tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wish, with all their money, they would hire a few people who understand the real world of digital workflow and a few people to help them stop scoring own goals so often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't agree more. Never ever I would upload my pictures in any cloud in general and in an Adobe cloud specificially as Adobe has proven multiple times to be challenged with IT security. If LR classic is left to rot I'll move on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking for ideas/feedback on how to move on - FB group, Former LR Users. Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate