• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to download full resolution file from a shared folder

Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,Please could the recipient of a supplied Collection link be able to download full res files (if held on the server). This could be an option in Mobile and WebThanks

Idea No status
TOPICS
Android , Chrome OS , iOS: iPhone , iPadOS , macOS , Web , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
52 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you can download originals via Lightroom for web already: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/lightroom-web.html 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes Rikk, you can already.

I allowed downloads, shared a link and copied it to another browser (that I wasn't logged in on).

Then I can download the whole Collection.

But, when you go to a single photo there is no option for original, only a low res. At least I think so.

Maybe I should have been more detailed on my original post.

Actually, just opened up the whole collection download in PS and they only appear under 500kb and 2048px width @72dpi. Although in image size is says 7.97M etc.

Something I am missing/don't understand?

A typical original would be 6000px @ 300dpi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try it when you were logged into your Adobe ID? The option for original appears there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it does Rikk.

The thing is, I am not the recipient of the Collection link.

Say my family want to download some photos to print off etc.

This of course may be by design. I imagine the majority of LR users may be professionals who do not want Clients who are recipients of links to have the ability to download Hi Res?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think current functionality is designed so that 'you' can work on your files from a browser anywhere.   We will leave this as an active request for viewers of web galleries. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks Rikk, maybe in time with the maturity of the product, more users may request it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

INCORRECT. No such link for original appears on Lightroom web either when logged in to Adobe account or not. The only thing Lightroom Web allows you to download is a low low low resolution version of the image (230KB typically - JPG).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

INCORRECT. No such link for original appears on Lightroom web either when logged in to Adobe account or not. The only thing Lightroom Web allows you to download is a low low low resolution version of the image (230KB typically - JPG).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm it does show up in Loupe view in the Web UI (top right corner) when you're logged into your own account... but only if the original is available in the cloud (photos uploaded through mobile/web, not through LR desktop). I don't think it works for "other" users viewing a shared collection, but I can't check that right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does NOT show up for synced photos which is all that matters

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photos synced from Lightroom for desktop are never originals - so downloading originals is not possible as they do not exist on line. Originals that are imported to the ecosystem via Lightroom for Web, iOS, and Android should all be available for download via Lightroom for Web's interface as the original is in your cloud account. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Major bug. Documented NOWHERE. Of course, display images on web are lower resolution for faster display. There is no reason (other than dumb millennial programmers) that originals couldn't be downloaded directly. When a program claims to "sync" that means it should synchronize, i.e. store same information (files) on both sides of the "synchronization". Programmers these days don't document anything and don't understand the meanings of basic words like "sync" or synchronize. In any case, as I said, the full resolution files ARE NOT available for download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not really a bug as it's either by design since the inception of LrM or most likely technical restrictions on the side of Lightroom Desktop? Or maybe both?

Just to confirm Victoria, bizarrely I checked earlier before I read this thread again and from a link you can only download 2048px.

Good enough for a 6x4 & 300dpi I guess?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearly IS a bug. Absolutely not by design. Millenials don't know what design is. Show me the documentation that specifies this "design". Doesn't exist because it's an obvious and gaping bug. Why do you think so many people have been complaining about it for so long???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the sake of clarity and documentation, as designed behaviour is:

• Photos uploaded to the cloud via LR Desktop are uploaded as 2560px smart previews. 
  • Photos uploaded to the cloud via LR Web or LR Mobile are uploaded as originals.

The size you can download depends on:
  1. Whether's it's your own account that you're logged into, vs. a shared collection.
  2. What size is available in the cloud.

If you're logged into your own account, you can download the original if it's in the cloud (e.g. uploaded by mobile), or 2048 px if it's not (e.g. if it was uploaded through Lr Desktop)

If someone is viewing a shared link and you've enabled downloads, they can only download 2048px, whether the original is in the cloud or not.

This is as it's currently designed, but the feature request remains open to make further options available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And where pray tell is that documented?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> And where pray tell is that documented?

Privately - through internal communications.
Publicly - I've just documented it in the posts above, as has Rikk.

Fast moving software development, especially for web apps, is rarely fully documented publicly, because it's out of date almost as soon as it's written.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. So I will state it once again. IT IS A BUG!

Undocumented "features" that go against what IS published, what is implied, and what everyone assumes based on what you have published, are BUGS!

Only millennial software "developers" believe that these are features or design.

Learn how to develop software, apologize for your mistakes, fix what EVERYONE is telling you is wrong, and stop making excuses and pretending this BUG is anything other than a BUG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jonathan,  please provide a link to the mentioned documentation on Adobe's website and I will have it corrected/updated so that users are no longer confused by it and ensure current as-designed behavior is represented correctly. 

If you would like to request a change in as-designed behavior, I would recommend your making a feature request (Idea) post on this site. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2017 Jul 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's all over your site. For example http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.html?promoid=V2XYKZY6&mv=other

As Victoria noted above, NOWHERE do you tell the unsuspecting about these BUGS (or as you call them "undocumented features"). See her comment above where I asked where this is documented and she responds, "Privately - through internal communications").

NOWHERE in any of the dozens of references to Lightroom's sharing capabilities does it mention this FUNDAMENTAL and MASSIVE shortcoming.

That's why hundreds of users have been complaining about it constantly ever since it was released. And those hundreds of users represent thousands of users are dissatisfied...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which detail are you suggesting is missing from the web pages Jonathan, because I can't see anything there that's inaccurate? 
  • That the desktop app uploads 2560px sized smart previews, which are perfect for editing and sharing on the web without using masses of bandwidth?
  • That you can't download full resolution files files using a web browser?
  • That your viewers can't download full resolution files (of which file type) from a web browser?
  • Something else? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Lightroom for mobile lets you capture...share Adobe raw DNG photos...Sync your photos...to Lightroom on your desktop."

NO IT DOES NOT. What is so difficult to understand. It does NOT do that. It ONLY does that under certain LIMITED CONDITIONS WHICH ARE NOT MENTIONED.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I have already explained a few times the word "Sync" means to have the same things on both ends of the "sync".

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You people are so intent on IGNORING THE CUSTOMER and insisting that you are right no matter what. The simple fact is YOU ARE WRONG. The customer is always right. IF YOU LISTENED, maybe you could hear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Lightroom for mobile lets you capture...share Adobe raw DNG photos...Sync your photos...to Lightroom on your desktop."

Jonathan, 

This text is correct. Whether the DNG is an iOS or Android device capture or whether it is a Lightroom for mobile or Lightroom for Web-ingetsted raw (including DNG) it will sync from the Mobile/Web environment to the cloud and back down to your Lightroom for desktop - as an original raw file. 

If I take a DNG with an iPhone - it is synced as a DNG to Lightroom for web and as a DNG to Lightroom for desktop.

If I connect a camera to an iPad and ingest the raw file into Lightroom for mobile, it syncs to Lightroom for web as a raw file and as a raw file back to your Lightroom for desktop. 

In both examples the file remains an original throughout the process and is available for download.  The same file format syncs both ways.

If you ingest a raw/DNG into Lightroom for desktop, you will sync a Smart Preview to all Lightroom for mobile devices and to Lightroom for web. A smart preview is available to all clients in the eco-system.

I can find no text to correct in your example.

Nor is there any evidence of any bug (software performing other than as designed) in the way the system is working today. 

Again, if you want a change in the designed behavior, a feature request is the way to go. 

Perhaps if you could explain what you are expecting to happen that is not happening for you we could give you more help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate