• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to disable eject memory card after import

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2019 Mar 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no option to disable the function of "Eject Memory Card after Import" for Lightroom CC (not Lightroom CC classic). How could I solve it?

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
59 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It ejects USB devices too not just SD cards. I use USB storage devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

USB external drives should not be ejected. Take us through what you do and what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import 1 or multiple photos from a USB device then Lightroom ejects the drive. Sometimes it glitches and is unable too and comes up with a message saying it could be not ejected, but 90% of the time it does eject.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, let's start back at the beginning.

Are you Mac or Windows? And which Lightroom version number are you using (under Help menu > System Info) as this thread is about the cloud-based version of Lightroom.

What kind of USB device are we talking about? Is it a powered USB2 external hard drive? Is it a portable USB3 external hard drive? Is it a USB stick? Is it a memory card in a card reader?

When you go to the Import dialog, what settings do you select?

We need to be much more specific as there aren't other reports of the same issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While the original poster wrote "for Lightroom CC (not Lightroom CC classic)", my experience is on Classic:
Lightroom Classic: 9.2.1 on Mac OS X: 10.15.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I amended my comment above as I experienced the original poster's problem on Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh - is this new in 9.3, or did I miss it in the UI... anyway the option is clearly there in this version of classic

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 12, 2020 Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also would like the option to NOT eject the SD-card automatically. I use a Leica M-D that cannot delete the pictures in camera, so I have to delete them on the computer. Because Lightroom ejects the card automatically, I have to insert the card again afterwards to erase the pictures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rename photos as I import them, usually according to location and/or subject. I often shoot more than one subject on  a card, and it is a pain to have to rename them again after they have been imported. Users should be able to choose what works for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also would like to not have to eject my card after import. I do the same workflow as John above, creating an album specific for certain photos (food for specific recipes) and selecting those that are associated with it. Then, I move onto the next batch. I don't understand why this isn't an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the ssme problem today on latest LR Classic. I found a card in one of my cameras with unimported photos spanning 6 years and could find no option in the import dialog about ejecting the card or not.

I save by Year\month\day.

The closest I get is to select the month and then checkmark each day within it that has photos.

LR won't let me do another month at the same time so did 23 seperate imports and had to remove and re-insert the card each time. What a pain in the posterior region.

Can you post a screenshot showing that option?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot find where to turn it off either. it is "ejecting" after each import. frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

philip4946_0-1606758121404.png

Top left of IMPORT screen, just under SOURCE...

OK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...sorry, can't find that specific place in my LrC 10.11. release???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That option should appear automatically when you start the Import process while there is a memory card inserted on your system. If you don't have a card inserted, or it's inserted but has already been ejected, that option does not appear. So, make sure there's a card inserted which the file system has detected, then try the Import operation again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure that Lightroom, the cloud-based app, does not have an option to prevent the card being auto-ejected. Only Lightroom Classic has that option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm lost on this, I've never seen an SD card 'eject'. All I've ever known
with them is that I have to push them in to make them pop out.
That applies to all my cameras, my tablet, my laptops, the desktop pc's
I've owned.

What are we talking about here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't physically eject them, that's just a term that the OS uses when you want to remove any device (removeable hard drive, usb device, memory card, etc.) from the list of currently mounted volumes. If you want to physically disconnect such a device, or remove a memory card, you first have to instruct the OS to "eject" it. Once the "eject" command has been successfully processed by the OS, it's then safe to disconnect the device or remove the memory card.

What we are talking about here is the import option which is available in Lightrrom Classic to have that eject command done automatically, rather than the user manually invoke the command. Once Lightroom Classic reports that the card has been ejected, it's then safe to physically remove it from the card reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it odd since in Lightroom Mobile you can still browse and delete images from your card after import, but in Lightroom Desktop it is unmounted automatically with no way of stopping it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are referring to the cloud-based Lightroom, there is no way to stop the card from being automatically ejected after import. As a workaround after import I open Disk Utility to mount the card again wouldn't having to physically remove and reconnect it. I than use Image Capture to manage the photos on the card (usually delete). Both of these apps are part of the OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the issue I am running into. I'll select a large amount of photos as I always have and then after I click upload, it says card ejected and then a message will pop up that says "some photos were not added". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here because you can't set lightroom CC to not auto-eject the SD card after import. Sup with that? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep it's an annoying behaviur and can't believe that so many years later it's still an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2021 Dec 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you import your photos the left column asks for the Source. Just under there is a toggle box in the top right of that column.  Simply uncheck the box. 

Eject after import.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you import your photos the left column asks for the Source. Just under there is a toggle box in the top right of that column.  Simply uncheck the box. 

By @smither.g.k.

That suggestion is valid for Lightroom Classic (and has already been provided earlier in the thread), but is not available for the Lightroom Desktop app, which is what the last few posts are about.

Votes

Translate

Translate