• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Keyboard Shortcut customization

LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enjoying the new CC for the most part, but one of the concerns I've got so far is that some of my most-used keyboard shortcuts have been changed.

For instance, I used to quickly cruise through new imports and use the Pick flag shortcut to find my selects. This used to be a very intuitive key—P—but in LR CC it's now...Z. And there's no way that I've found to change it back.

Could we please have configurable keyboard shortcuts? Or at least some sort of legacy mode so our muscle memory is still effective in the new environment?

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
28 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your opinion matters so thank you for bringing this up. It may not be much consolation but I felt the same way so I came up with a little work around that matched my "muscle memory". It goes like this:

1. Set filter to show images with 3 stars or less

2. Flag your rejects with 4 stars
3. Flag your picks with 5 stars
4. Keep going until the screen is empty
5. Set filter to show 4 stars only and dump the rejects.

You may come up with a variation on that theme that suits you better but you get the idea, right?

By the way, culling images on an iPad in Lr Mobile is a dream!!  Swipe up on the right side of the screen for a pick and down for a reject. Swipe up or down on the left side of the screen for star ratings.

I hope that helps.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rick!

Unfortunately for me, the way I used to cull images doesn't have a workaround like that, though I'm always interested to see how others work.

You're onto something with the LRM angle though: I too love culling images on my iPad, so I may just adopt that as my one and only destination for that part of the workflow. Import on desktop, wait for sync, and cull on iPad. It's not as immediate, but it feels like a better replacement to me.

Still...the ability to customize those shortcuts in the desktop app would be really beneficial for those less willing to adapt, so hopefully it'll be considered as a possible update. ☺️

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for customizable keyboard shortcuts in BOTH Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic CC!

At the bare minimum, keyboard shortcuts between the two should match.  'R' is crop and has been for years.  Sorry, Lightroom CC, you don't get to force it to be 'C'.

More importantly, we really need to be able to assign our own keyboard shortcuts to each and every field and function in the interface.  Please don't say there aren't enough letters. Gmail has compound shortcuts like 'GI', which translates as 'GO to the INBOX.' 

In Lightroom and Lightroom Classic, I should be able to assign 'DE' which goes to the Develop module and activates the exposure tool, which I should be able adjust with the + and - keys.

Then, I should be able to use 'GT' to activate the Grid module and jump to the Title field and assign the title. From there, a tab or 'GD' should take me to the Grid's description field.

The rule of thumb on keyboard shortcuts is that they should be available for EVERYTHING that can possibly be done with a keyboard, which is just about everything except actual application of the Adjustment Brush (which DOES have shortcut: 'K'). 

So, nearly all Lightroom functions can and should be able to have a keyboard shortcut. This is really simple to implement and a HUGE time save for pro users. Please make it so!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please. The Copy Settings and Paste Settings for Photos do not have keyboard shortcuts. The whole point of copying and pasting changes on one pictures onto others (white balance for example) is speed! +10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although it's not obvious there are keyboard shortcuts for Copy and Paste Settings. The standard Cmd-C (Ctrl-C) to copy and Cmd-V (Ctrl-V) to paste work just fine but they only work on one image at a time.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the sort of thing that really sells the cloud package. I can upload a shoot. Sit down later with my feet up and go through quickly picking and rejecting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would appreciate if Lightroom CC had the same shortcuts as Classic. Things like classics "d" and "e" keys have been swapped. The new shortcuts might make sense but makes the Lightroom experience inconsistent among apps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Swiping up or down in LR mobile on iPad doesn't make anything happen for me. My app is updated. Is there any settings that has to be changed for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new post of your question to make it easier to track your problem. In the mean time I would try deleting and re-installing the app.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just need to click the star icon in the bottom right 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  Sorry - I am a newbi!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol!... or that.  No worries, we all have to start somewhere! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is a big mistake from ADOBE TO change the shortucts from Lightroom Classic (???!!!).
Always I use P to pick and now is Z from Zoom?
They begin wrong

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was excited to open and start using Lightroom CC until I put my hands on the keyboard and realized that many if not most of the shortcuts have been changed. Please revise the key shortcuts so that they match those in Classic for identical features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any progress on getting keyboard customization into Lightroom Classic? I found a blog post offering plug-in suggestions from Julieanne Kost going back to 2012 (https://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2012/02/lr3-customizable-keyboard-shortcuts.html). One site gave a 404 error and the other supports up to LR 6. Why hasn't such a useful feature been added in 8 years? If keyboard customization is implemented - please let the num pad be used, all modifier key combos and allow any function to have a custom keyboard shortcut. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree. Whenever software designers try to reinvent the wheel—or "move the cheese"—without first asking "why?" and "is it worth the trade-offs?" it ends up punishing the poor souls who use the software. Oh sure, we can eventually unlearn years of muscle memory, but why? And what is to keep the next version of LR from changing "Pick" to "G" or some other arbitrary key? Allowing users to customize their shortcuts would be a great policy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like to have the shortcut customization but for a different reason. I use Lightroom Classic CC in English but with a non-English keyboard. As a result only those shortcuts work which are assigned to a key which matches between the English and the non-English keyboard. So basically only letters except Z and Y. Also I bought some extra drawing table which also works based on shortcuts - the special buttons can be assigned to shortcuts, but as the shortcuts does not work the assignment does not work either. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please let us setup different Shortcuts scheme, or at least provide a straightforward table in the software, and let us choose a legacy layout, with the same keys as in LR Classic

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a long time LRc (lightroom classic) user and am expanding to also use LR Desktop CC (creative cloud) on my other devices. Knowing the keyboard shortcuts LRc, I'm getting frustrated when using LR CC apps when some of the keyboard short cuts are different.

Couple examples:
Action, LRc shortcut, LR CC shortcut

1. flag as PICK, P, Z
  2. crop, R, C

Workaround

print out side by side short cut keys as a look up reference and keep near your computer (having to look up and translate something you already know - slows down the edit workflow "I think I will wait until I get back home and use LRc")

Improvement Idea
Allow users to select which shortcut set they would like to use via a preference within the LR CC apps. This would benefit LRc users in being able to leverage usage patterns they are already familiar with and could facilitate more users to use or try out LR CC and potentially migrate to LR CC (potentially improve cloud sales?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe team and community, 
This baffles me, why are the shortcuts completely different between the Cloud vs Classic? 

I travel a lot, and absolutely adore the functionality of Lightroom Classic able to sync with Lightroom Cloud and provides a seamless mobile solution between my home computer and my mobile...

But the complete oversight of keyboard shortcuts, is absolutely driving me bonkers.

For example:
R is default for Crop for Classic. But Cloud, its C. 
Exposure adjustment (assignable) is + or - key on Classic.  But on Cloud, there.. is no shortcut for adjusting any values. 
Flagging, this is a particularily infuriating one:
On Classic: P is to flag, U is to unflag, and X is for reject. On Cloud its Z to flag, U to unflag, and X to reject. 

What are your team smoking to put "Z" as a flag? When on all other adobe apps its assigned as ZOOM. 

Any input would be appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mark.Dahm Could you provide insight on this? 
Any chance of the keyboard shortcuts being programmable? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RikkFlohr , you have any insights here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, this issue/idea is from 2017, six years ago. 

The development of this software doesn't seem to care at all about the professional user, but rather casual user that might adjust few sliders on one image at a time. 

Flagging is one minor annoyance, I can work around that, but adjusting exposure values by using a track pad, dragging the cursor on the exposure slider, for each individual images........ is total backwards from Classic, where you can use + & - keys to fly through the images adjusting exposure and other values. 

This would all be solved by offering "programmable" keyshortcut tab in Lightroom CC like the Lightroom Classic. 

mlphotoraw_0-1699542306018.png

I can't believe its been declined. 

Z really adobe? Z to flag an image? when for decades it has been P?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've posted about this issue many many times. 

Z on LrC is zoom, but LrCC it is "Pick".

Also there is no keyboard shortcut for adjusting sliders such as exposure by plus/minus keys like found in LrC. Frustrating for a guy like me, who go back and forth between LrC with its catalog sync'd to the cloud, and to using LrCC for travel.  

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-ecosystem-cloud-based-ideas/p-keyboard-shortcut-customizati...

They "declined" the above request to match or make shortcuts customizable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 10, 2023 Dec 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Mark.Dahm perhaps you could point this idea/possibly bug in attention to appropriate devs please? 

It would be AMAZING to have + & - keys to be able to adjust exposure & other sliders.

Votes

Translate

Translate