• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Please add keyword auto-complete that offers suggestions from the existing keyword list

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please can keyword entry have an auto-complete that offers suggestions from the existing keyword list.  This would be a huge enhancement to stop the problem of variations on a theme.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
17 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to bump this a little. I've been making a conscious effort to develop a workflow for my new pictures. With the lack of multiple flags in Cloud, I'm using a keyword to mark photos during my first quick flip through an import that have potential but will need specific attention to get there. Not having that keyword autocomplete is an annoyance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would agree - although there are a lot of additional keyword management elements I'd like to see, this would be a pretty simple first step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 Here!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please. Keyword Lists as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1, even better, perhaps also have suggestions before you even start typing, and a way to see all the keywords. I hate ending up with "mountain goats," "mountain goat," "goat," and "goats" because I can't remember which keyword I've been using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, autocomplete metadata and tags with suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES. This is a major issue for me, since there isn't an easy way to manage/merge keywords. Please fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2019 Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree - this is ridiculous that it is not included!  Feels like a complete step backwards! 

With fat thumbs and lots of photos to import - it is easy to mistype a keyword without autocomplete and end up with a number of variations of the same word.  (flowers, floewrs, flowerd) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2019 Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is going to sound like trolling but isn't.  

I posted this idea within days of CC being launched and keywords haven't been updated in any way.  Nor are there smart albums to take advantage of keywords (smart collection syncing being a request that pre-dates CC by a years) .  I want tags (aka keywords) and smart albums because they offer far more flexibility than hierarchical folders (although they can quite happily co-exist).

It's like Adobe's view of SaaS apps is to add features not refine the basics that would make Lightroom really usable.  For me, it's like they don't know whether it's Photoshop or a digital asset manager first.

I closed my account when I realised that Apple's photos was the simpler DAM and round-tripping to an editor when needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't typically chime in for the sake of chiming in but this is truly an issue. I moved to CC because my needs are not as sophisticated as they once were and the backup originals is a nice bonus. However to not even have an autofill is just absurd in my opinion. How am I supposed to maintain consistency without autofill? 
Keywords in Apple Photos do come in when you import. Seriously? That is my workaround? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 09, 2019 Sep 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the main thing that's preventing me from switching from Apple Photos to Lightroom. I rely heavily on keywords, often the scientific names of insects, plants, etc. There's no way I'm typing out keywords like "Megachile centuncularis" all the time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me the most painful aspect of the metadata editing experience in Lightroom (cloud version, all platforms) is the absence of any assistance when adding keywords.

The app has access to thousands of already-keyworded images in my collection but it's my squishy human brain's job to remember what keywords I've used and their exact spelling? Not cool.

Adding keyword auto-completion and/or a list of my keywords would be welcome additions. I'm not asking for any machine-learning fanciness, just a fraction of basic keywording features Lightroom (non-cloud) has had for a decade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fortunately, smart collections can be synced by using third party AnySync plug-in, works very well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An update to Lightroom Desktop was released today and includes this feature. Try it out and let us know how it is working for you. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great news. Auto-complete does indeed seem to be working for me in the desktop app (macOS 20200204-0604-bc5e360). A few small things:

- This might be macOS-specific but when the "Keywords" textfield has focus, the usual "Next Photo" & "Previous Photo" keyboard shortcuts (right arrow, left arrow) are hijacked by the textfield (to move the text cursor). This makes the keywording workflow for multiple images slower than it could be. It is possible to create additional "Next Photo" / "Previous Photo" shortcuts for lightroom using the System Preferences app (e.g. ⌘→ ⌘←) as a workaround but having a standard solution would be nice.

- Would be great to have autocomplete in Lightroom for iOS too (space is a little tight on the iPhone, but the iPad has plenty of room)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I recently constructed a catalog by importing items from a pre-existing catalog. It has thousands of photos, hundreds of keywords.  But the keyword auto-complete doesn't seem to look at any keywords not entered since the catalog was created -  ie not the imported keywords.  A real pain.
And why is the setting 'Offer suggestions from recently entered keywords'?  I want it to use all keywords, most recent first perhaps, but not exclusively.

Votes

Translate

Translate