• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to bulk - batch rename files

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC - Renaming in bulk. This is another important feature from Lightroom which appears not to have made it (yet) to Lightroom CC.
Everyone has there own renaming strategy (don't they?). Once I have  applied keywords and corrected location details, I bulk rename to include date, location and primary keyword in the file title. OK - that may be overkill, but does help people I am selling images to.
Bulk renaming - for whatever reason and using whatever system - is an important tool for DAM and support for it in Lightroom CC would be appreciated.

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
85 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't believe LR doesn't have a rename feature.  First step would be to rename individual files, but better yet a way to batch rename a subset.    Classic case of the conflict between users who always want more features and developers who hate to add them.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Love Lightroom Mobile but we have been waiting a very long time for the ability to have the option to rename our files. Funny how we can edit the date and time in Lightroom Desktop but we are unable to change the file name. Would love to have this functionality much sooner than later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to export images from LRCC for a variety of reasons, both individually and in bulk, and being able to identify them by name is really important. I've considered reverting to LR Classic, or purchasing Photo Mechanic for that purpose. I'm holding out hope that Adobe will add the feature - I'm not quite ready to trash my current LRCC workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rename on import would be really helpful....it's just good housekeeping....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe needs to allow file naming accorss all versions of LR, its such a basic thing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t thing this is possible at the moment, but I am trying to see if I can move away from a traditional laptop and use my new iPad Pro while on the road.  One big problem is not being able to rename files (ideally on import) before I send final images to clients.  Please add this feature and if anyone has a workaround for now, let me know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a shame that this is not implemented yet. I have product pictures which I need to share with various client. By renaming a finished shot I can give them a workable filename. 

It is great to have all your pictures with you in the cloud, but it does not make sense you can not share them with the right file name. 

Renaming while exporting does not resolve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just learned it is not possible to rename photos in Lightroom! I am a bit shocked! I have taken up birdwatching and it is very important to have the birds identified and then sorted by file name. So, I will try this method- export the photos from Lightroom to Desktop, name them on my Desktop, delete the photos from Lightroom and then import the named photos from the desktop. Hopefully, I am able to retain the edits from Lightroom. Assuming this works, this is a lot of work! I would highly suggest that the ability to rename photos is incorporated into Lightroom. This inability to rename photos is very disappointing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add Batch rename option to Lightroom Mobile.

A really great tool to allow photographers even more remote workflow capabilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the idea. The forum does not automatically apply a "vote" to your post so don't forget to click the green arrow in the upper left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I like to rename my images from a shoot “after” I have removed all the bad ones.  Keeps things nice and tidy.  But the only way to do it now is in Lightroom on the PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second this feature request. This would let me use Lightroom on iPad as my primary editing device. Currently I have to use my desktop to rename my imported files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not happy with the Lightroom app for IPad.

With IPads/tablets only steps away form replacing laptops you would think both versions should be working pretty much the same!    

What is missing from the IPad version 6.2.2 is when you save/export to files on the iPad it loses its original time stamp which there should be an option to keep the original time stamp like you can on the desktop version. So far on the iPad version you can keep the location and camera info so it shouldn’t be that hard to keep the original time stamp.

Also there really needs to be a way to rename photos in bulk. Please look into the keeping the time original stamp on the iPad version as now I find the iPad version pretty useless now. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you rename files upon import? e.g. with a unique date/time name

When using multiple camera that have overlapping file names, or whether the camera resets its file name series, duplicate file names are a common situation out of a camera. Which causes a problem on import and if later having to manage archived backups.

I believe the answer to the question is no, but LR CC should at minimum have the option to have the file renamed with a date string, and preferable with some prefix options like LR Classic has. This is a basic feature that is missing and causing a pain in the workflow from camera to LR.

Another basic that is missing is batch file rename and auto stacking of jpg with raws

It's great you regularly release nice editing features, but please at least add the file renaming basics, like some options on import, even if a fixed name change to a date string like Dropbox does!

And please, also do this for all the mobile app versions as well. Where most of the advantage of LR CC is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is being merged into an existing authoritative thread for better tracking and response. Please review the official answer (if any) in the second post on the thread for more information. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is being merged into an existing authoritative thread for better tracking and response. Please review the official answer (if any) in the second post on the thread for more information. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is essential.

It was in Elements. There is no reason why it couldn't be in Lightroom as well.

When you import photos directly from the camera to the Ipad, you basically skip the step of EOS Utility (or equivalent), which renames properly all the imported files, and also adds the copyright in the raw file.

For the direct import to iPad's Lightroom to work well, it needs to do this, otherwise, we have to go the long way: through the PC and the EOS Utility

Many thanks in advance !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Renaming files is the only way to "lock in" a particular order when files have manually been reordered.  Otherwise the reordering is at risk of being lost while doing other operations.  For example I reorder a series of 150 files, then I run "enhance" on all of them - the ordering gets lost in the enhanced versions.  Please give us this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Cloud has some good things about it. There are a few things this app needs to make it a whole lot better. ADOBE please listen.......

1 Batch Naming and Renaming of files with a key shortcut. 

2 Bin symbol shortcut to easily get rid of bad photos

3 Take a high res photo from a video

4 Able to name videos

Please grant me my wishes....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2022 Jun 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add batch rename to Lightroom mobile. 

I like using Lightroom on all devices but the one feature missing is batch rename for photos. 

This would make it my dream photoshop application!

Can you do it??

Thanks 

Cathal 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2022 Jun 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ye please batch rename Lightroom mobile!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have contacted support to specifically request Batch rename in Adobe Lightroom CC. It seems such an obvious request. It is a no brainer which would really enhance the app....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is 2022 and the batch rename has not been implemented...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used Lightroom over the years (since Aperture was discontinued), then used Capture One for a few years, then just came back to Lightroom recently due to job requirements. I have been asking about this for years now, but it appears Adobe refuses to bring this small feature to the New Lightroom.

This feature has been the major reason why I haven't fully switched over to Lightroom from Lightroom Classic (amongst other, smaller, reasons too). I can't speak for others' workflows, but for my own. So, for the sake of transparency, the following is my typical workflow after an event: 1) Import images into Lightroom Classic, while also adding these images as part of a New Collection (which can be seen in the New Lightroom; I really like being able to see every picture I've taken over the years across all devices!!), then 2) start going through all the images, rating and rejecting, etc.. Then, once finished, 3) I delete the rejected images, THEN 4) perform the Batch Rename command to rename all images respectively, then 5) I export images to their respective folders.

It would be soooooooo much easier if 1) we were able to bring these images directly into the New Lightroom, 2) go through the management/processing of the images in there, 3) Delete the images that aren't useful/helpful, 4) Batch Rename at any time, and 5) export images. I am already aware that what I said above can be done in the New Lightroom, but it's missing the Batch Rename feature....

I am not a fan of using the Batch Rename feature when exporting images in the New Lightroom, as I frankly will not know the picture numbers when a client comes back to me, asking about a certain image.... I also am not a fan of Batch Renaming from Adobe Bridge before bringing them into Lightroom, as I am not sure if there are certain images can be salvaged before going into Lightroom. For instance, there may be an image or two that is a bit too bright, but I won't know if those images will "make the cut" until I actually perform edits on them in Lightroom first (make sense???)....

Instead, I'd like to Batch Rename the images within the New Lightroom, THEN export them at those new file names going forward (hope that made sense!!!)....

Will this feature ever come to the new Lightroom?? Hopefully Adobe will initiate this feature. I look forward to you all's thoughts!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is sort of ridiculous. I would love to use Lightroom Classic to bulk rename files, but I have been waiting (since the beginning of November) for Lightroom Classic to sync all of my photos (164,000+); currently, only 63,000 have been synced, so maybe by December of 2023 I can finally use Lightroom Classic!

Adobe needs to fix this before I work with my entire organization to move away from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate