• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to create a Custom Crop Ratio preset

LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the "Enter Custom..." option from the old Lightroom and how do we get it back (see attachments)? I like to make my photos 1080x1080 for Instagram and was able to do this in the LR Classic version.

Idea Planned
TOPICS
Android , Chrome OS , iOS: iPhone , iPadOS , macOS , Web , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Custom Crop Ratios were implemented for the Lightroom Desktop app effective with version 4.3 

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 171 Replies 171
171 Comments
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I read, Bill, it looks like you're talking about running two catalogs. Keep in mind you can only sync to the cloud from one LR Classic catalog at a time, even though you can have as many Classic catalogs as you want. If you've synced from any other catalogs you will get messages nagging at you about this and grinding sync to a halt. (Real fun trying to get that working again if you need to go to a backup catalog.) You will have to *turn off* sync each time you change catalogs to your "offline" Classic catalog to get around this problem. Ideally you should turn off sync before you even open the main catalog. Other than that, yeah, sounds like you got it. 

Unless you really need them separate, I do not recommend running two catalogs for this because of the incredible ease for sync issue headaches. I'm getting one just thinking about it. They have caused me many problems and I don't see Adobe having addressed them. It wouldn't be hard to keep Mobile cloud synced and Classic imported photos separated into two parent folders or parent drives along with parent Collection Sets in LR Classic. They are stupid easy to move around inside LR Classic. IMO, that is something that was done pretty well, even if it is sometimes a bit slow to move large chunks of photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workaround right now is to make an album with various blank crop template images of sizes I use a lot. I will then go to whichever size I want, "Menu", "Copy Settings", check only "Tools" (uncheck everything else) then go under that sub menu, and select only "Crop". Back arrow, Check mark, then go to the picture I want the crop on, "Menu", "Paste Settings". Custom crop applied. Not ideal but it works. *

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a new thread for continuing the "sync" discussion.

How do I edit a photo in LR Cloud (Desktop) with LR Classic and stay sync'ed?

I will copy / summarize some of the posts from here into that new thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bill.

On what I said above, I discovered that only seems to work on LR Mobile CC. It will apply the correct crop just fine there. LR Desktop is only bringing in the crop equidistant from what the original crop was from on the original image only if I adjust the crop on the image. LR Mobile seems to not need any adjustments at all to work flawlessly. If the edge was brought in 40 px from the starting point in the original, copied, image then that is all it will be brought in on the pasted image. It is not changing the ratio at all.

For example, I started out with a weird sized jumbled up pano and copied the crop of a 3 x 1.5 blank image and pasted it on that pano it wouldn't change anything. If I made the crop slightly smaller with the original ratio on that 3 x 1.5 and copied it, all it would do on that pano is move the edges in the same amount the edges moved when I changed the crop on the blank image. The crop ratio on the piano would not change. Again, this is on LR Desktop. On LR Mobile this is not an issue. I can copy/paste and it will adjust the crop ratio just fine. Awesome /s

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm in the boat with everyone else - is there an update on this feature??

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would like to imput my costum aspect ratios with numbers just like in Classic. Based on Pixels is for me most important 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lr CC I'd like the ability to enter custom crop ratios like it exists in LrC. It would be even better if I could then save this as a standard selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Maybe [...] or @lightroomqueen have more chances to support us on getting this little feature. Or at least have another idea on whom we need to contact to get our "Enter Custom Crop Ratio" feature.

*sebastian_tho Apologies for the delay replying, I'm busy catching up with myself. The votes on these feature requests on this site feed right into the internal systems used by the managers when determining priorities, so the best any of us can do is get lots of people to vote. The more votes, the better its chances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of the features still missing from Lightroom (not Classic) are so basic, it is really frustrating. Especially when we have been discussing this just here for the last three years. 
Every time we create calendars for the holidays, I end up here, every time I end up exasperated that this still hasn’t been fixed. 
Just today I was thinking of fully moving from Lightroom Classic to Lightroom (because the former is so slow on my iMac while the latter is delightfully fast on my iPad), but once again I have see that right now this isn’t possible. 

Voted. Adobe, please get this done. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2020 Dec 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Voting +1 for the feature: 

- Custom crop settings in Lightroom mobile 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still in desperate need for this feature. I've been attempting to copy/paste the exact aspect ratio crop from another photo and paste it onto the relevant photo, but for some reason, it just is not the same aspect ratio. It is essential I regularly export images (for a website) at 2000x783px. I can't keep booting up my Laptop (where I have LrC installed) and making the adjustment there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix this. I like the ability to switch between devices when editing but the lack of being able to input a custom ratio is super annoying and wastes time since I have to do it elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt, this is exactly what I've been trying to understand (and trying to explain too!)and trying to research about how the copy/paste process of a crop within Lightroom Desktop works. Or essentially 'doesn't' work. It seemed to be relative to how much is cropped on the image you're copying from, and the result is variable. It is not a fixed aspect ratio it copies, which is exactly what I'm after. I have a set of precise image sizes I have to export for a client's website, and it's become a right pain to get these exports bang on the mark. I was also doing the copy/paste (simply of the crop) but recently discovered it is not doing what I want.

Really good to hear I can do this in Lightroom Mobile then. Is that right? Then I don't have to keep opening my LrC on my Laptop (I mostly work on my iMac).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to use 2:39 : 1 or 65:24 ratio in Lightroom but only way to do this is to eye ball it using the custom window function. 

Are you serious?  How can a largest photo editing software not have custom aspect ratio tool? 

Please try to resolve this issue because I really enjoy the clean UI of cloud based lightroom over lightroom classic. 

It literally takes 5 lines of code. 

I beg you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've changed your post to a feature request and merged it with an existing thread. 

The forum does not automatically apply a "vote" to your post so don't forget to click the green arrow in the upper left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After 3 years of people posting and wanting to see an Enter Custom crop option and still nothing??  What's up with this??  I often use different crops for pictures, especially in my landscapes.  Are they going to offer this feature or not??

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If all you ever want is the provided aspect ratios Lr does the job but there are some annoying aspects of it. First is the fact that when the aspect ratio is changed Lr does not update the meta data so the info button still reports the image size BEFORE the new crop. To get that data to update you have to leave the image and come back BUG/ERROR?  Second and foremost is the inability to create a custom aspect ratio and save it for re-use. Finally, if you can't give us anything else it should be easy and would be good to add a 3x1 ratio to support the photographic traditional panoramic image.  With large sensors these days a crop of 3x1 is a great way to improve the story some photos are trying to tell and it should be MUCH easier than it currently is in any version of Lightroom in the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add this feature to LR Mobile. 

Saving custom crop ratios for printing and other artistic methods would be ideal, as well as adding more options for crops out of the box. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently using an entirely mobile workflow to my Epson SureColor P900, having more pro options for cropping and printing profiles is key to this flow. Now, with the addition of the M1 chip in the new iPad Pro being added into the iMac as well, I am sure Adobe can make Lightroom CC Mobile far more featured and render raw images even better. This is the hopes for the coming versions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature is essential for social media photo editing.

Exporting for the best quality in a given platform (Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, ...) often comes with specific ratio requirements to avoid blurry automated rescaling.

Adobe's lack of attention for such a basic feature makes it clear that the product is not intended for professionals.

Affinity Photo offers a serious alternative with two fields to specify the desired crop ratio. Not rocket science!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We seriously need a custom crop tool in Lightroom CC. If I want a 1x3 crop I should not have to eyeball it in any "professional" editing software. Or at least more preset options. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, this needs to be added ASAP. It's pretty crazy actually that it doesn't already exist - I'm in Europe and the standard print/frame sizes are not the same as in the US and I have no way to crop without eyeballing. Ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Custom Crop Ratios were implemented for the Lightroom Desktop app effective with version 4.3 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been on this thread for about 3 years and I just don't understand what the hold up is. I have voted and posted many times. We just want to create a custom crop and have the ability to save and name it for future recall. I'd like to see the the pixel dimensions or crop ratio as I am setting the crop. Or at the very least have some more crop options like 2:1, 2.35:1, 2.4:1. Having to eyeball a custom crop and make it the same for every picture is ridiculous.  I am using the Lightroom mobile app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Greg, I just tried it after the new update and you can type in your custom ratio now. What is your hold up with it exactly?

Votes

Translate

Translate