• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to create a Custom Crop Ratio preset

LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the "Enter Custom..." option from the old Lightroom and how do we get it back (see attachments)? I like to make my photos 1080x1080 for Instagram and was able to do this in the LR Classic version.

Idea Planned
TOPICS
Android , Chrome OS , iOS: iPhone , iPadOS , macOS , Web , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Custom Crop Ratios were implemented for the Lightroom Desktop app effective with version 4.3 

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 171 Replies 171
171 Comments
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Top right corner of this page

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2019 Mar 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1! It would be VERY helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 31, 2019 Mar 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any idea when this will be implemented? Want to prepare my pictures for my Apple Watch, which has a weird crop factor so now I need to export everything out of Lightroom to crop it accordingly. Also have the same issue with my phone for background images and my screen (21:9) which are not supported...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's absolutely crazy that you can't custom crop in Lightroom CC. It's the first and most basic thing that anyone working with images online needs to do. Canva does it for free. Get your act together Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once I could use Lightroom CC (I can't do that now). Back then I had the same problem.
I have updated Windows 10, but I still can't use Lightroom CC. Adobe says I need to upgrade Windows. That's exactly what I've done.
It is impossible to get in touch with Adobe in a renewable way.
I'm considering finding another imaging program. Are there any experiences with alternatives to Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where's your thread about not being able to use LRCC Torben?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify, you can custom crop, you just can't specify its ratio. That's what this request is for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incorrect. Custom literally means the ability to customize to your own specifications. Browsing through their limited preset ratios is not "custom."

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victoria, it's even worse, because it clearly means that "engine" is in place. Custom ratios can be handled. The only problem is that the way how to input those ratios is by dragging handles with mouse. All we're asking to have two simple input boxes where to specify those ratio numbers. That's it. And looking at this "problem" with eyes of full time software developer (which I am) makes me absolutely mad that we're even having and discussing "issue" like this....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you unlock the lock, you can crop to anything you like (a custom crop). You're not restricted to the limited preset ratios. 

Don't get me wrong, I support the request for specifying custom ratios, but some people reading could misunderstand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no thread here. I have had a supporter from Adobe to look at my PC. He caused only a lot of problems with my PC because he wanted to reinstall Windows. I get that from Adobe that even though I have fully updated Windows 10, I have to reset my bios or something similar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with the statement that custom crop is not possible. It is almost impossible to use the handles to create a crop of a pre-determined aspect ratio. While it could technically be argued that using the handles allows a crop to be created with an aspect ratio not one of the built-in presets, it can not be consistently applied. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. They don't even show you the size while you're cropping, which makes it useless. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I first posted about custom cropping a long time ago knowing that custom crop is possible, but I would love to at least get an update with common cinema aspect ratios. Even better would be the ability to make a custom ratio and save it as a preset for future use. I can’t imagine that this is difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think everyone in this thread is definitely talking about specifying custom ratios. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll update the thread title so it's completely clear

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like we missed the mark when the first guy only wanted to make a square... But we all know what we're talking about. Owens said it best - it's the consistency we seek when delivering a certain look. The random dragging of corners should never be mentioned on this thread. It is not an alternative or substitute to the workflow we've used for years and depend on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to know the reason for NOT having a custom aspect ratio.  It would need to be very good. Marina 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is truly confounding. Even from very early Photoshop days you could input custom numbers for the aspect ratio. Lightroom Classic CC lets you do it. I am using that even though Lightroom CC would be better overall for me, simply because I need to make many different SPECIFIC aspect ratios on a regular basis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2019 Apr 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this topic really 2 years old.... Very disappointing the minute I hopped on Lightroom cc for the first time. Why am I going to pay a monthly subscription to the latest and greatest when something like a basic function has gone unaddressed for two years...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2019 Apr 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe WHEN are you going to do something about listening to your customers?  WE WANT A CUSTOM RATIO cropping tool. Now, please.  Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really terrible.I need to exact - crop photos for official IDs in 7:9 and I have to use free online Photopea tool to do this. Don't you feel embarrassed, Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They want you to have to keep purchasing the desktop version of Lightroom to use this feature. $10 more a month for them. Classic Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the desktop version but it does not have this feature. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic (the desktop only version that costs an additional $10 a month)

Votes

Translate

Translate