• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: "Trash" Functionality

Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems less than optimal for deletion of photos in Lightroom CC to permanently remove the photos from all locations, especially in the event of accidental deletion.

It would be great to have some sort of "Trash" functionality for deleted images (that could be cleared regularly as a policy) or even send deleted images to the native trash on any desktop machines connected to the cloud account.

Idea Released
TOPICS
Android , Chrome OS , iOS: iPhone , iPadOS , macOS , tvOS: Apple TV , Web , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019
Deleted item functionality, originally released in May on the Lightroom Web platform is now available inside all of the Lightroom Ecosystem clients. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019
Greetings All,

Effective with the release today, the first stage of a Deleted Item recovery is available to the Lightroom Ecosystem. Logging into Lightroom Web at http://lightroom.adobe.com will reveal a Deleted Icon beneath All Photos. Items deleted in any of the Lightroom clients (Desktop, Web or Mobile) should appear in this area for evaluation, recovery or permanent deletion. 

Note that this is the first step in a more robust implementation and there will be more to come.

Votes

Translate

Translate
74 Comments
LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just recently uploaded all my photos from Classic to CC and while I am quite happy, especially with the new inteface, I could hardly believe that there is no way to recover accidentally deleted files.

So I fully support the request to finally implement this very basic feature.

In the meantime, I have activated the option to store all my originals locally and use Time Machine to back them up along with the rest of my data. I suppose, this should allow me to recover at least the original files...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to combat this issue, I have multiple backups. I do believe they need to implement this function asap however.

My workflow is as follows:

I first unload all my raw photos from their SD cards after a shoot into a well organized external hard drive. (5TB to be exact, large enough for several years of average use, I don't even have half of it full and the is over 12k of photos on it now.)

I organize them into a folder by year first then into a single sub folder named "YYYY.MM - Shoot Name" this keeps the folders in order enough for me to find them easily without a ton of sub folders to dig thru.

Next, from my external I upload them to my GSuite drive where I have unlimited storage. (You can use any cloud storage you want and just pay for what you need as you go or skip this step if your not concerned about having a 3 part back up. (If you skip a secondary cloud step, I would recommend keeping two external hard drives with you photos on them and replacing every other hard drive every two years or sooner if you can. Standard hard drives are great, but they don't do a good job at warning you when they are about to fail and it is very expressive to have data recovered from a failed drive, not to mention they may not be able to restore it all anyways.

Lastly I upload them to LR Cloud where I go thru them all and prices them. My album structure is the same in all places so I can easily find any photo. Since I have my other two backups (external hard drive and GSuite) I do remove any photos that I didn't not want to keep from LR Cloud. I do this by first flagging my best photos with the check mark and flagging any throw aways with the x Mark. When finished, I use a filter to delete x marked photos and then begin my processing with the photos that are left.

If I accidentally deleted a photo from LR Cloud, I have two backups that contains every photo I have ever taken, and my best photos are not backed up there times at minimal cost to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just crasy a 12€/month (or maybe 24) needs such a workflow to insure everything goes right.
Finally photos from iOS/os app offer a convenient service of 10€/month allowing to use and share 2tb the way you want.

And for the price you can even print photo if your want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgive my awful typos! I can't seem to find how to edit my post, I did it from my phone and can see now there are several of them. Oops!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2019 Mar 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having just accidentally deleted about 150 pics of my kids from my catalog and then spent 1 hour to restore them from my old Classic library (luckily, they were old enough not to be exclusively in CC), I strongly second that request. Way to start a relaxing Sunday morning...

I would even prefer additional functionality:

1) Add a functionality "Delete all rejected photos" that will only delete rejected photos (in the current album/library). That way, I just need to make sure I use the flag correctly, but I cannot accidentally delete picked photos. This is even available in Classic. No idea why it disappeared in CC.

2) Add a system album called "Rejected" and add a functionality "Move rejected photos to Rejected" - that should be relatively easy and comes very close to a trash functionality. Once you're in that album, you could safely delete all, knowing that nothing else other than the Rejected photos should be in there.

Both should not be too difficult to implement, as you do not have to worry about storage limitations. Deletion would still be permanent, just more targeted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2019 Mar 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just created an album called "trash". So when I want to delete something I first put it in that album. Later I can check this album and delete all the photos with less beeing worried of deleting unwanted originals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2019 Mar 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear you Bastian. I also managed to accidentally delete 1300+ pictures while attempting to delete the rejected photos. I definitely am upset at myself for not having a backup of those but I’m equally upset at Adobe for not having a safety net in place.

I would expect Adobe Cloud to run on top of cloud storage providers such as Amazon S3 or Google Cloud Storage who both offer ways to restore deleted objects at a lower level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2019 Mar 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you contact support, they do have a way of getting them back as long as it's recent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2019 Mar 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While that is certainly not a long-term, satisfying solution, it‘s still good to know for now. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings All,

Effective with the release today, the first stage of a Deleted Item recovery is available to the Lightroom Ecosystem. Logging into Lightroom Web at http://lightroom.adobe.com will reveal a Deleted Icon beneath All Photos. Items deleted in any of the Lightroom clients (Desktop, Web or Mobile) should appear in this area for evaluation, recovery or permanent deletion. 

Note that this is the first step in a more robust implementation and there will be more to come.
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings All,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS IS GREAT NEWS !!
I just yesterday evening complained about the lack of that functionality with a friend of mine. And - tataaaaa - the next day this is fixed. (I should have complained earlier - it seems 🙂 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yahoo!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally. It was long but is comes.
Missing print, smart folders, offline search and so on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news. Works and for accidental deletion absolutely sufficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is absolutely phenomenal news! Super excited to see this feature evolve and become part of the native desktop and mobile apps...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Deleted User, a question. Is the Trash functionality documented somewhere? I’m curious about some of the technical aspects. (Do photos that are deleted in LR Classic for those not using LR CC stored there? How long do deleted photos remain in trash? How does storage of those photos work, Etc.) I’ve discovered by troubleshooting with someone else, that the photos in Trash will remain on your local hard drive (if stored locally is turned on) when using LR CC Desktop. Just curious about the other aspects of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 07, 2019 Jun 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good questions - Jon. 

At this time, I don't have a place to point you toward for further information. As the clients begin to add functionality we will be deploying help documents with more information. For now, I will have to ask you to be patient. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2019 Jun 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything "known" at this stage is documented in my Edit Like a Pro book. The trashed photos remaining in local storage feels more like a bug / unfinished feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jon, deleted photos stay in the trash for 60 days. You can access them in Preferences >> Account >> Deleted items. I would have created this button in the "My Photos" section. But anyway, it works. Let's wait and see how it evolves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleted item functionality, originally released in May on the Lightroom Web platform is now available inside all of the Lightroom Ecosystem clients. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Juhuuuu 🙂 - and Videoupload /-playback on Android. Thx !  That ́s great!!

Votes

Translate

Translate