• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Merge performance, preview

Enthusiast ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be greate to use the rendered image in the merge screen as a preview or placeholder while the real image is generated.

I often merge multiple images, and it would be handy to have the place holder there of the jpeg (I assume) from the merge screen so I can continue working while the image file is generated.

Tim

Idea No status
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
4 Comments
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure I understand your request. You cannot 'continue working' on a file that doesn't exist yet, and to continue working on something else doesn't require the panorama jpeg placeholder.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JohanElzenga 

In my flow, right after the initially culling, is when I create the merged images (HDR, Pano).

Right after merging the images, I start working on meta-data. And I want to have it apply the merged image, and also have all images in the stack for manipulation reasons.

With an HDR Pano shot using my 61mb raw files, I sometimes have nine (9) or more images in a merge. On my laptop, this takes long enough to complete that I can forget to apply the meta data to the completed image unless I wait for it.

So, they already have just he generated image (likely a jpeg), I want to have Lr stack the source images and place the generated jpeg at the top as a place holder while the "real" image is generated behind the scenes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I understand why you ask. But consider this: Lightroom generates the preview from the original image. No original image yet, no preview yet. Yes, it might be possible to use the preview from the photo merge dialog, but that would probably require a major rewrite and then the next person will ask for a preview when they skipped the merge dialog because they merge stacks in batch, or used shift-ctrl-m rather than just ctrl-m. In fact, if you merge so many images, I am surprised you (apparently) do not skip that dialog yourself.

By the way: the merged image should inherit all the metadata from the brackets, so why do you not simply add the metadata before you merge them?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Complexity to implement will depend on how they built it. Knowing how I have coded similar things for complex processing (not images, business apps); such a feature would be reasonably easy to implement. Also knowing how a few others have implemented such concepts, I can see how it will be super complicated to implement.

As for putting in the meta-data first; while technically possible would end up being hard to track and follow. I create the merge as part of my first culling process. So I either have to remember what I have applied meta-data too, apply it to all I am processing and then cull. This is likely prone to errors and mistakes.

Votes

Translate

Translate