• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Allow for family usage, i.e. from more than two computers

Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Lightroom CC would be ideally suited for family use. A shared family photo library in the cloud can be built and maintained. The mobile devices (iPad, iPhone) can be easily integrated already.

Not so for PCs: The installations are limited to two. Even when an additional subscription is purchased, it can't be integrated with the existing cloud based photo library (one gets a new, independent one).

Please allow a reasonable set of PCs to access the shared cloud photo library. A ballpark number would be 5 (similar to the Microsoft Office Family License).

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019
Certain Lightroom Desktop program offerings now allow up to 5 computers activated on a single plan. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
51 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea. “All Your Photos Everywhere” should really
include desktop at home, laptop on the move, at school or work etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. 
I'm really not sure who this new Lightroom CC is for. So many comments are about what can't be done, when it seems those people should be using Lightroom Classic CC.

I see Lightroom CC as having the potential to be what Mylio wants to be: For managing, organizing viewing and sharing a personal or family collection on several devices. It also has the potential to be a more thorough solution than what Photos for Mac or Google photos are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that are my thoughts as well. I used Lightroom when I still had an SLR, and did photography as a hobby. Nowadays I almost always just use my phone to take pictures, and manage everything in Apple Photo. But, Apple Photo can't be properly shared with the family: It is for personal use only. I was very excited when I heard about the new Photoshop CC, only to find that it does not allow to share either because of this limitation to two installations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like the two computer limit is designed to keep professional users from sharing accounts, but it's unfriendly to amateur users (like me) who just want to access their catalog from all their devices.

A 5 computer limit like Office 365 would make a lot more sense here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The number of Lightroom CC app installations per user account is not limited on mobiles and tablets (iOS and Android). Also the feature palette of these LR apps is similar to the LR Web interface and to the new Lightroom CC software.
So I absolutely do not understand why there should be a limitation to 2 installations of the software while there is no limitation of the app installations and the use of the web interface.
I am using several laptops and desktop PCs with different computer power in different locations.
There is one master PC with Win7 where I heavily use Lightroom classic CC and Photoshop, one Laptop which I use when traveling (but I can't access the classic CC catalog).
We have an additional Win10 notebook connected to a beamer to show the pictures. It would of course be very helpful to be able to install LR CC on this WIn10 notebook. As LR CC is not compatible with WIn 7 it is also not installed on the master PC and therefore there would be one installation unused.
But due to the already mentioned limitation this is not possible and therefore limits my possibilities!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently, I subscribe to the CC Phography Plan, as well as Acrobat DC. These plans allow for the installation of this software on two machines.

I'm considering integrating the new Lightroom CC into my workflow, as a tool to ingest and do a first round of selection while in the field - and syncing everything back into my real LR (Classic) Catalog on my workstation for when I return from location.

Here's the thing. I have three computers - my workstation, which lives in my studio, my laptop, which travels to more static locations, and a netbook which I use when I'm on the move with weight or size constraints.

Currently, I have to maintain two seperate Adobe accounts in order to have PS, LR Classic and Acrobat DC on all three machines.

This also means that if I subscibe to the new LR plan, one of my machines will not be able to sync with the other two in the new LR because it's linked to a different email account.

I don't mind paying for the additional licenses as I'm doing now - but why can't we simply purchase additional seats within the same account - having to add accounts (which don't share resources) is inelegant, fruastrating and disruptive. Please expand our purchase options to allow users to buy licenses for more machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I'd certainly love a 5-computer limit, I'd be just fine with paying to increase seats on a single account rather than paying for two separate accounts just to increase my number of licenses. For me, personally, it's not the cost, its the bizarre inability to add licenses on a single account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A family plan or an option to buy more "seats" is really a feature that is missing. We moved our 70 000+ photos gallery to Lightroom CC just to realize it's not possible to have more than two accounts. It's ridiculous that my parents and my sisters can't use the desktop app and that I have to sign out of my account to allow them to use the app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will be possible to activate Lightroom CC on more than 2 devices in the future? We are use Adobe Login, why activation/deactivation?

Now I am working on 3 devices and I must activate and deactivate again and again if I want to use Lr CC on computer where I'm sitting.
And sometimes I am not at my computer (for ex. at office of my colleague) and have free time and want to use Lightroom CC to work on my files...and whole process will repeat (deactivate at my others machines, activate on some "new" machine, deactivate here, activate on my home computer and one of laptop)...

Thanks,
TwadaCZ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have three computers and I gave up this whole activation/deactivation process. When I am sitting in front of that third computer, I just keep hating Adobe instead of editing pictures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about two CC subscribers? Me an a coworker (who both have FULL CC licenses) want to share a catalog. We each have unique users names and accounts. So why cant I share (full edit) my catalog with them? I figured that was the POINT of the CC version of lightroom. It solved the database issues with Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2018 Aug 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a great idea George. I can't find an existing request for that, so could I suggest you create one? It's likely to get lost in this request for "additional seats".

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2018 Nov 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea, much needed. No one has really nailed this yet, but Adobe is getting closer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As someone who just signed up, this is a major bummer I ran into. I have a desktop and laptop. I also have a wife who was looking forward to using it. I also have a computer that acts as a file server for the house I wanted to leave a copy running on for back up purposes. There is no reason this software should be limited to 2 installs. On the other stuff it makes sense. This software is so tied to the account it is logged in under its not like hardly anyone would share it outside of their house.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great point!  If you have to log in to use the software, it can tell you are licensed.  Microsoft Office works this way.  I think they still limit it to 5 installs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft is far more friendly here. You can share your home license with 5 more people (does not have to be even a family), so 6 people total. And every single one of them can be signed-in on 5 machines at the same time. On top of that every user gets 1TB of cloud data. It is not shared, every one gets the full 1TB. So one home license with all Office apps can be legally used on 30 machines and gives you 6TB of cloud data for $9.99/month (two months free with year prepaid).

How does Lightroom look now? I am screwed even with my laptop travelling between two computers 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is just silly in this case. If I were to share my login with anyone for Lightroom CC we would literally have to share a photo library. The people who would do this outside there home is probably a rounding error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is very unpleasant, to pay a subscription formula that only allows to activate only 2 Mac for different Lighroom application. It would be smart to be able to activate Lighroom CC on 2 machines as well as Lightroom Classic on 2 machines in an independent way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 01, 2019 Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I could use Lightroom from "all my devices" like it says on the page when you purchase. I have a PC and laptop at home, and then a PC and laptop at work. When I'm at work, sometimes I'd prefer to use my work PC to look at and edit some of my personal photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certain Lightroom Desktop program offerings now allow up to 5 computers activated on a single plan. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And which plans? I am using "Photography" - Lr and Ps - and there is only 2 activation now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, which plans allow 5? Their docs don't say that at all: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-apps-number-of-computers.html

I'm on "Creative Cloud Photography plan with 1TB" and limited to 2 devices

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK, your plan should now allow for five computers. Just try it. Maybe that document has not yet been updated.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try it with Lightroom just before posting my previous comment and it still had the 2 device limit, but I'll give it some more time and try in a day or two, maybe their changes haven't hit all of their servers yet. Exciting though!! Thanks Johan and Rikk!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your plan includes Photoshop, you are limited to 2 seats. If you have the Lightroom Plan with 1 TB and no Photoshop then you should have 5 seats. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate